Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 disappointment

NJ Tom

...Since retirement I dived in again, kind of starting from scratch for the second time.... The problem I'm having is that my fingers seemed cramped at the first few frets and I buzz or mute strings unintentionally....

I'm mainly a keyboardist [scared] but I also got into guitar quite awhile ago... until I broke a couple left-hand fingers. Then I started back into guitar about 4 years ago and came down with a serious case of GAS. The more guitars I get, the more I play, but with fairly fat fingers, I was having that same problem with 1 11/16" nuts, so I started going after guitars with 1 3/4" nuts. Amazing what a difference that makes. The more I play, however, the narrower nut becomes much less of a problem. I can play these pretty well now. I'm getting better! 1 3/4" now seems a bit wide, :rolleyes: but I play 'em all. Like many others, I'd say stick with it. I play a little every day - not a lot. Your fingertips will slowly harden up and sit on the strings better. Just takes a little time. Keep on playing!

I played a Taylor 714 for 15 years before giving into GAS and buying a Gibson J-165. The neck is much thinner, string spacing a little narrower than the Taylor and short scale rather than long, so all in all much different. I loved the sound in the store, but you don't typically sit down and try to play for an hour straight in the store (at least I don't). The first couple of weeks I almost returned it. My hand cramped up frequently and I fumbled over stuff I play easily on the Taylor. Its been 18 months now and I find that I although I have to make some minor adjustments in my hand position to play one or the other, I don't have to think about it too much anymore. It took me more than 30 days to get that point, but I can play either one for extended periods of time. On the other hand, I still find the Taylor neck to be more comfortable and if I knew that when I bought it, I would probably not have bought that particular guitar (the J-165). I say play it as much as you can for the 30 days and if you can't see any improvement give it back. These things are too expensive to not be completely happy with.

Tom... just a thought (actually not even my thought, but rather the thought of a friend of mine that has experience with both guitars)...

Is it possible that your fatigue with the J35 relative to the OM is due not to the neck, but rather the deeper body of the J35 - which is about 1/2 inch deeper?

Had I not played my friend's D-15 that'd make a lot of sense. But I wasn't uncomfortable with his dread despite not being as used to it as my OM. Both the 15 and OM neck profiles are the same even though the OM has the wider nut. I've convinced myself that the problem is with the fat Gibson neck and/or the shorter scale. The neck doesn't cause hand cramps...it just feels like too much of my hand is around the neck which shortens my finger reach on the strings. That's the best way I can describe it.

I spent some time with the Gibson last night, switched to my OM, and the different neck profile was noticable to me. Fwiw, I've tried tuning down a half-step, then a full step with a capo alternately on the first and second frets, but I got the same result.

I haven't thrown in the towel just yet. I have some time before my 30 day trial expires. The only reason I haven't rushed back to GC yet is because I like the J-35 tone so much. Hey, I love how my Martin sounds too, but the Gibson seems less complex and more in-your-face...louder too.

Thanks to all for such professional advice.

I've been in your position. I had a Hummingbird that felt like it was fighting me. Stupidly, I kept it and finally admitted defeat when I noticed I never wanted to play it. Yes, the tone was wonderful, but every other guitar I owned got more action. I still have a Sheryl Crow that I'm on the fence about and can't decide.

In your position, I would return the J-35 and spend some time looking for vintage Gibsons. Something from the '60s where the nut widths and neck profiles were all over the place. See if any of them feel right. Chances are you'll find the narrow nuts harder to play (I prefer them, but that is my preference) but you might find one that's perfect for you.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride. Looking for a guitar should be about the most fun you can have. If you're in NJ, get yourself over to Russo's in Asbury Park and to that place in Teaneck that has all the vintage guitars (someone here knows the name of the place I'm forgetting).

No matter how great the tone, chances are there's another guitar out there with killer tone and that's a joy for YOU to play.

I just bought a guitar that defies all logic for me. It's a Washburn, with an ugly cutaway that's laminate b&s. But I picked it up and it fit like a glove. For $250, I knew having another beater was a no-brainer. The tone isn't bad, either. It's not a $250 tone. Or it's not the tone a cheap beater once had when I was a kid. And the action is perfect, as if it had a pro set-up.

You just never know is what I'm trying to say.

As a for a Hummingbird, I ended up with one that's either a '66, '67, '68 or '69. Narrow nut and perfect for me. You'd probably hate it. Most people probably would. But all that matters is that it fits its owner.

Have fun! Don't stress! You're in the driver's seat. There are thousands of guitars that all wish to go home with you. But only you decide which one makes it there.

I've been in your position. I had a Hummingbird that felt like it was fighting me. Stupidly, I kept it and finally admitted defeat when I noticed I never wanted to play it. Yes, the tone was wonderful, but every other guitar I owned got more action. I still have a Sheryl Crow that I'm on the fence about and can't decide.

In your position, I would return the J-35 and spend some time looking for vintage Gibsons. Something from the '60s where the nut widths and neck profiles were all over the place. See if any of them feel right. Chances are you'll find the narrow nuts harder to play (I prefer them, but that is my preference) but you might find one that's perfect for you.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride. Looking for a guitar should be about the most fun you can have. If you're in NJ, get yourself over to Russo's in Asbury Park and to that place in Teaneck that has all the vintage guitars (someone here knows the name of the place I'm forgetting).

No matter how great the tone, chances are there's another guitar out there with killer tone and that's a joy for YOU to play.

I just bought a guitar that defies all logic for me. It's a Washburn, with an ugly cutaway that's laminate b&s. But I picked it up and it fit like a glove. For $250, I knew having another beater was a no-brainer. The tone isn't bad, either. It's not a $250 tone. Or it's not the tone a cheap beater once had when I was a kid. And the action is perfect, as if it had a pro set-up.

You just never know is what I'm trying to say.

As a for a Hummingbird, I ended up with one that's either a '66, '67, '68 or '69. Narrow nut and perfect for me. You'd probably hate it. Most people probably would. But all that matters is that it fits its owner.

Have fun! Don't stress! You're in the driver's seat. There are thousands of guitars that all wish to go home with you. But only you decide which one makes it there.

Smurf - trade your SC for my D28!

Accomplished!

Sal,

I haven't forgotten you. I should take advantage of these sunnier days to get some decent photos of my guitar. I have a vintage D28, though. I inherited my dad's 1958 and it's a winner. Though a modern one would surely be worth checking out!!

Any guitar that is not liked by its owner is comparable to a stray dog.

Both need a good home. If you send the guitar to me, I will nurture and cherish it. The guitar will have a long and happy life, secure in my home and wrapped in my love.

Sal,

I haven't forgotten you. I should take advantage of these sunnier days to get some decent photos of my guitar. I have a vintage D28, though. I inherited my dad's 1958 and it's a winner. Though a modern one would surely be worth checking out!!

Next time you drive down... lets pick. no pressure on the guitar. bring it... if you want to swap a guitar great, if not, we still pick.

I haven't thrown in the towel just yet. I have some time before my 30 day trial expires.

If you decide to return, I wonder if they will try to "nickel and dime" you about wear and tear? Has anyone here ever tried to do that after a few weeks? Just curious…

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/financing/30_30.cfm

Returned items must be in original, brand-new condition, showing no signs of wear or use such as belt-buckle or pick scratches, scuffs, dings or scrapes on the instrument or collateral materials. Items must also include all original packaging, manuals, warrantees and accessories or your return may be subject to a return handling charge

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the OP of this thread....just wanted to thank all of you for your advice.

I ended up returning the J-35. I loved everything about it except that the neck just didn't agree with my left hand. I'm 62 now and only began playing in my early to mid-50's, stopped the last few years, then started again recently. It wasn't practical to get another guitar while keeping the J-35 in the hopes that my skills would improve enough to adapt to it at a later date.

I replaced it with a Martin D-15M. I had considered the spruce and hog D-17 since the construction was more apples to apples with the J-35, but the sound didn't please me as much as the D-15M or the J-35. The all hog D-15M (especially with a set of Martin Retro lights) has kind of a similar dry, woody sound quality that I liked so much with the J-35...the same, only different if that makes sense.

While not as attractive as the Gibson, the neck profile/nut width, and maybe even the longer scale of the 15 made all the difference and it's easier for me to play. But I do understand now why you folks are so nuts about the Gibson sound, especially the J-35. I hope to give one another shot down the road.

Thanks again.

Thanks Sal.

In my very short tenure as a wanna-be, I flirted with a lot of guitars. I think I was more in love with the idea of owning nice ones instead of learning how to play the damn things. I recently sold an '11 D-28P which replaced an '08 D-18...big regret. The D-28P was an impulse. I didn't adapt to the PA neck, and then I dropped off the guitar radar for a few years. I still own an '03 SWOMGT which for many reasons including sentimental, will stick around.

I was very disappointed about my failings with the J-35, but that led to the plain-Jane Spartan D15M (pretty it ain't), and I'm more excited about this one than any other guitar I've owned because it compels me to play it.

I think you made the right move. Don't let the 'spartan' look of the D-15M fool you. That guitar runs circles around many higher-end models, including many Martins and Gibsons. I've got my eye on one if I can just release something in my tribe. Because I've been dumb where you've been smart, I have several beautiful guitars whose geometry fights me. Their beauty transfixes me. But I wear out too soon.

Congrats on making the right move for you.

Archived