Gibson Brands Forums

6 digit serial numbers

Paulinmuskoka

I purchased my Les Paul in 1971 and love it even more today than then. I'm trying to research my serial number to determine as much manufacturing info as I can. Also, for insurance purposes I have to place a value on it although for me it's ABSOLUTELY priceless and I would never part with it. My baby has a 6 digit serial number, not 8. Can anyone offer me some advise? Oh ya....she's a Les Paul Deluxe, gold top of course.

Open the control cavity and read the pot codes. The numbers on the volume and tone controls, assuming that they are original. You can post those numbers here and we can decode them for you and get a rough idea of the year. The serial number will probably be useless as there was too much duplication and poor record keeping back then. You will probably learn more by the construction methods of the guitar, is it a pancake body etc. For a value, a lot will depend on how original it is and what shape it is in. $1000-2500 max is probably a fair range. Despite what a lot of people think, and what a lot of uninformed buyers/unscrupulous sellers are doing, they will never reach the values of the original 50's guitars. The exceptions will probably be, one offs, limited runs, and the 68s and early to mid 69s, but there is nothing really special about 1970s Deluxes.

• 4 months later...

Sorry it took so long.....I've been kinda busy and totally forgot about posting here.....the number on my Les Paul is 171558, posted on the back of the head...under that it of course says, Made in USA.

Please email me at paulinmuskoka@hotmail.com if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks...I'll look at the pot codes to see if we can nail it a bit closer. Since I bought it in 1971 I don't think it could be a 74 date code but who the heck knows. In any case I love that guitar and there are far too many memories in it. I just want to make sure I have it insured for the proper value.

Wow, Raptor's back, long time no type! I thought it was unusual (admin thought so too) that my 2007 U.S.A. Classic I had has a 6 digit serial number. I still gotta say that guitar in your avatar's a bigtime sweety! But I'm kinda partial to blue guitars.

Wow' date=' Raptor's back, long time no type! I thought it was unusual (admin thought so too) that my 2007 U.S.A. Classic I had has a 6 digit serial number. I still gotta say that guitar in your avatar's a bigtime sweety! But I'm kinda partial to blue guitars.[/quote']

Sorry GnF... look at Raptor's post date... this thread was months old. Not sure if Raptor is back or not...

• 2 years later...

Hi

New here, I come from sweden and i have an old SG with 6 number (172704) that i will restore and i looked at the pot and the number is 1377412. I wonder if anyone can help me to tell what year it is made and what model?

Hi and welcome.

This is the info from the pot code reader database;

"This potentiometer was made by

CTS Corporation (Chicago Telephone Supply)

in the 12nd week of 1974

This means that (given this is an original part) this is the earliest possible date your guitar was made. "

Hope this helps.

P.

• 10 months later...

Open the control cavity and read the pot codes. The numbers on the volume and tone controls, assuming that they are original. You can post those numbers here and we can decode them for you and get a rough idea of the year. The serial number will probably be useless as there was too much duplication and poor record keeping back then. You will probably learn more by the construction methods of the guitar, is it a pancake body etc. For a value, a lot will depend on how original it is and what shape it is in. $1000-2500 max is probably a fair range. Despite what a lot of people think, and what a lot of uninformed buyers/unscrupulous sellers are doing, they will never reach the values of the original 50's guitars. The exceptions will probably be, one offs, limited runs, and the 68s and early to mid 69s, but there is nothing really special about 1970s Deluxes.

A friend of mine called today asking me to search the internet for information on his Gibson - he is not a computer person. I know little or nothing about guitars. He says the serial number is 6 digit : 623933

and here are the numbers on the pots:

Vol Control:13772

Tone Control:1377215

Vol Control:13772 70-024

Tone Control:13377215

Input jack: SWTCHCRAST

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

• 9 years later...