Gibson Brands Forums

Injured

RichG

I fell off my deck while pressure washing and landed on my right shoulder. Hurts a bit, but I can still pick. It's amazing what goes through your mind while gravity propels you. Mostly I was thinking "I'm 69 years old and weigh 180. This is not going to end well."

I have flown and flight instructed for 47 years without a scratch. I've driven an open wheel race car at Pocono Speedway. I have even survived a hostile open mic or two. [rolleyes]

They say most accidents happen at home. Count me in. Somehow I thought some of you guys would understand.

Thanks for listening.

Rich (call me "lefty" for the next few weeks)

Sorry to hear about the accident. Tried using the pressure washer while on a ladder once... learned all about recoil.

Glad to see you've collected your marbles and are able to type. At least it wasn't a hand injury; when that happens, first damage control is to look down at which hand, which finger(s), and usually think " 'don't need those too much to play guitar". Hopefully.

Let's be safe out there.

Thanks guys

We have a gig coming up and have not been able to rehearse due to our lead guy being in hospital (sucks to get old). Now he's ok and I think I'll be ok. My right arm position when playing feels ok. I'm definitely not putting anything in an overhead bin on an airplane anytime soon, however.

Sal, I'm liking the J55 lately. It sounds best when finger picked with picks on. When strummed, a heavier pick sounds best, so I think I'll keep it.

But I'll keep you in mind the next time I'm pressure washing something!

Rich

"I'm 69 years old and weigh 180. This is not going to end well."

Interesting feeling, especially if you have enough air time to actually think, "ok, so how am I going to want to land this"... Heal fast.

I hope your shoulder gets better quickly....

7 or 8 years back, I rode my push bike too fast down a riverbank track, turned right like 100 times before to see a chain across the entrance to the road...too late! Broke my right hand, cracked ribs and hurt my insides and those around me thought I would go balmy not playing guitar until they saw me playing with my thumb sticking out the cast and a thumb pick on it... That was the easy part - getting back on the horse, well.... Took a bit, but now as I ride along the bike track - older, slower but not much wiser - guess what tune often pops in to my head?

Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart movie singing "Sometimes falling feels like flying, for a little while..." From the song "Fallin' and Flyin'".

BluesKing777.

They say most accidents happen at home.

That's why people should move.

Sorry to hear about your fall. Sounds like you are made of some tough stuff to come out of it as well as you have.

I was on top of my roof cleaning it awhile back. Until I thought: "I'm not the landlord. Why am I up here?" I got down quickly: one of the better choices I've ever made.

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

FMA

Archived