Gibson Brands Forums

torrefied tops

j45nick

The thing that made me use that word wasn't just having questions. that's cool and should happen. absolutely. and yes, it is up to them to show the value. it just seemed like some people were passing judgement before having too much info or experience with them yet and setting up criticism of people who will buy them in the future for one reason or another.

perhaps demonizing was too harsh of a word though. I can admit that.

Keith

I have to admit that the term "demonizing" caught me off-guard, coming from someone who normally seems so mild-mannered. However, I take your point. Most of us here have an uncanny ability to rub someone wrong from time to time, as well as to leap to conclusions that may not be justified.

I find the idea of a torrefied piece of Adi intriguing, but I would really like to understand the long-term implications of the process. If it really is as close as you can get to a musical time machine, I'm all for it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's get serious now. You want "torrefied" guitars? Here are some real "torrefied" guitars. And they're likely also demonized, because demons are the only things that can play them.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrB8pN6gqVVVWIAcTuJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsZ29xY3ZzBHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEc2xrA2J1dHRvbg--?p=guitar+on+fire&fr=yfp-t-316&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Ai%2Cm%3Asb-top&ei=UTF-8&n=60&x=wrt&y=Search

Let's get serious now.

Yes - this Mister H sure got into some severe torrefaction.

1967 ~ Hendrixs%20terrifying%20torrefaction%202.jpg

Personal note : Though pale, I actually think there could be a torrified dimension to the top of my dear Firebird Custom.

Well, I'm keen to try one!

I wonder when they actually come out? The Martin torrefied top guitars are filtering out in the last month or so after being announced January, but probably won't get here on the far side of Uranus for years. Nothing in the shop yet that had Martins, Gibsons, Taylors (and one Shubb Capo C1 which I bought because that shop never has them!)

BluesKing777.

Several years ago I ended up with a 59 Strat for $400. It's a long story but the seller was completely aware of what it was and the deal was completely fair. anyway....... how much was that Strat worth? did it matter that I only had $400 in it?

-Keith

I want to hear the long version of the story about the 59 Strat for $400

Well, I'm keen to try one!

I wonder when they actually come out? The Martin torrefied top guitars are filtering out in the last month or so after being announced January, but probably won't get here on the far side of Uranus for years. Nothing in the shop yet that had Martins, Gibsons, Taylors (and one Shubb Capo C1 which I bought because that shop never has them!)

BluesKing777.

Oh and I am "Guitar Riche, Cash Poor", so it will be the cheapest model with toast top and probably some peanut butter on that toast?..... [mellow]

To some extent, I believe a torrefied top is likely to be more dimensionally stable over time. As you say, there are already stresses from different bits of the guitar expanding and contracting in different ways. I doubt a torrefied top will have much impact on this aspect of it. Even kiln-dried wood takes time to adjust to changes in humidity, particularly when one side of it is sealed.

I think Keith is probably right. I would really like to play one of these alongside an analogous guitar, maybe at J-45 TV. And maybe a J-45 Legend as well.

I find the concept of torrefaction really interesting.

I am sure Gibson will have some documents in the making....

Here is a link to Martin's blurb on their VTS system if you are interested - they have had a bit of a headstart and many are impressed so far, though I would be a bit unhappy if I had just bought say the pre-VTS Martin OM18 Authentic and then they changed them to VTS- probably spent all the cash and feel a bit ..left out... [crying] :mellow: [sneaky][scared] :

https://www.martinguitar.com/VTS

And vids of the OM28 Authentic:

BluesKing777.

Archived