Gibson Brands Forums

Eivind Aarset

jdgm

The Norwegian guitarist Eivind Aarset has quite a track record and discography, although you may never have heard of him.

What is different to many of us is that he sits at a table with the effects pedals and a computer on it.

He uses the computer program as a completely integral part of his sound. He has plenty of conventional 'chops' too but never shows off.

The standout track from his 2012 CD "Dream Logic" is called "Homage To Greene" and is a transcendently beautiful homage to Peter Green (whose name was inadvertently mis-spelled in the title).

I must urge anyone reading this who ever heard of Peter Green and "Albatross", to listen to this cut:

This type of computer-processed guitar is one strand into the future. It's already here - now.

Sorry, not for me. I like Green's Albatross much better.

This thing made me lose my patience pretty fast. Very slow and just doesn't sound that great to me.

Maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

Sorry, not for me. I like Green's Albatross much better.

This thing made me lose my patience pretty fast. Very slow and just doesn't sound that great to me.

Maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

It is slow. It's got a lot of that eerie, spooky synth "atmosphere," and I guess he was expertly looping that guitar. I recall visiting a guy from Cal Arts making and playing a big synth contraption back in the early 70s. He was also going for and getting this eerie, spooky sound coming out of the thing, so I couldn't say Aarset's synth background is anything particularly new. (I prefer to play pianos, organs, and other instrument voices on my synth.)

The PC took up where rack gear left off. Its been around a long time, since before I started playing in the 80s. Robert Fripp usually rings bells on that side of the pond. The Eventide units, TCE, Roland, Lexicons, Echorecs... almost endless options w/midi control and samplers.

I'm into that stuff, big time. Nothing better than ambience and there was tons here. Enjoyed it!

Archived