Gibson Brands Forums

ES-295 "Smell?"

Partyslammer

I recently picked up an Epiphone ES-295 in what appears to be unplayed condition - it really is dead mint. It was obviously stored in it's case for a long period of time. Problem is, I get an odd kind of metallic, almost sulfur smell from it. It's definitely the guitar as when I handle it and play it, my left (fretting) hand smells of it even after just a minute of two. I really can't tell if it's coming from the metal or wood/finish. I've let it air out for over a week and I still get the odor. Is this a noted issue with these guitars?

I purchased an older hollow body electric (the one in my avatar) earlier this year.

It was quite old, and had been unplayed for many years.

The guitar was very dirty, and chock full of dust bunnies.

I did an excellent job of tearing the guitar down, setting it up, cleaning it, and polishing it, but it STILL has a very musty old smell.

I'm afraid it comes from disuse.

[mellow]

I purchased an older hollow body electric (the one in my avatar) earlier this year.

It was quite old, and had been unplayed for many years.

The guitar was very dirty, and chock full of dust bunnies.

I did an excellent job of tearing the guitar down, setting it up, cleaning it, and polishing it, but it STILL has a very musty old smell.

I'm afraid it comes from disuse.

[mellow]

I've picked up or at least handled a few solid and hollow bodied guitars that indeed smell like an old sock or worse, nasty cigarette smoke but usually a couple days of airing out and some cleanup even with a bit of scented furniture polish, the stink goes away. Most guitars that I've seen that have been stored or at least sat in a case for a period of time usually have either a nice scent from the material in the case or gig bag, or have a wonderful wood/varnish finish smell. Not this one. When I opened the case before buying it, this guitar was immaculate, no dust, clean down to no fingerprints on the finish and I really didn't notice the smell until I got it home and really handled it and even noticed the odor on my hands. I feel like I should call the guitar "Rotten Eggs."

It could be worse, my ES-125 smells like cigarette smoke.

Which kind of makes me wonder what it was up to in the fifty-odd years it was around before I ended up with it.

probably up to 3 packs a day!

I recently picked up an Epiphone ES-295 in what appears to be unplayed condition - it really is dead mint. It was obviously stored in it's case for a long period of time. Problem is, I get an odd kind of metallic, almost sulfur smell from it. It's definitely the guitar as when I handle it and play it, my left (fretting) hand smells of it even after just a minute of two. I really can't tell if it's coming from the metal or wood/finish. I've let it air out for over a week and I still get the odor. Is this a noted issue with these guitars?

Have you checked the electronics? Based on what you describe (metallic, almost sulfur smell) would be my first thought.

Faded....

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a guitar from a heavy smoker. It and the case stunk so bad I left it in the garage. Then I remembered that you can put a new dryer sheet (Bounce) inside and close the case. A week later I opened the case, and the smell was almost gone. I changed dryer sheets and left it set for another week, and now the smell is gone. Changing strings and a good coat of polish also helped I'm sure. The rag I used to polish the guitar was orange from nicotine, so I'm sure cleaning the guitar helped eliminate some of the foul oder. Try it...you have nothing to loose but some stink!

Been there, smelled that - in two instances of personally historical note. Both guitars had ancient, but not rusty strings (which I'll never understand on $2K+ guitars). Replacing the strings and cleaning the fretboard solved the issue for me. In a different instance, a SG that I picked up for a song in Honolulu smelled for the first 10 minutes or so out of the case each time. But, the case was okay. Turns out, the previous owner's cat had kittens in the case and the stink dissipated quickly when the case was opened, but settled back in quickly in the island heat and humidity when closed. A new case was cheaper than cleaning the old one.

Archived