Gibson Brands Forums

Sometimes The Sun Shines...

Silvercrow

Well, between health, work and a variety of things going fully and semi haywire (what the heck is a 'haywire' anyway?), the sun might be shining!

Previous employer sent me a letter. No, they don't want me back, but as I was there for 13 years and 'got in' on their 'old retirement' plan, they are doing pay-outs and other things, including back pay for some accounting snafu committed sometime while I was there. Lots of black print on a white page, but bottom line, I'll be receiving some money from them shortly! YAY!

So, we need a new stove, have so for years. And I'm going to take and 'invest' some in a new axe. I LOVE my LP Studio (did I ever mention that?), but I've ordered a 2014 Fender Strat, Ltd. Ed. in vintage white, tortoise pickguard, fat 50s pups. Musicians Friend, great price for a US made guitar IMO. Apparently they did a limited run in that color and Aztec gold. I went with vintage as I have more than enough 'flash' with my Ruby Red LP!

Not shipping till next week- work and schedule caused me to request a delayed shipping date.

NOT giving up on the LP! NO WAY! But I do miss a strat...

Report to follow...

Brian

Hey Brian

Great news man!

I think you're gonna love them fat 50s.

my 2014 standard has a set.. they sound dynamite.. I have another strat with texas specials, ,, these are not quite as honky, a bit smoother, with a really nice glassy bottom end.

you will LOVE this pumped into that mustang of yours, the Princeton and Bassman presets will kill!

fingerboard? maple or rosewood?

Great news and great guitar you're getting!

I didn't know what it meant either so here it is from an online dictionary:

"soft wire for binding bales of hay," by 1891, from hay + wire (n.). Adjective meaning "poorly equipped, makeshift" is 1905, American English, from the sense of something only held together with haywire, particularly said to be from use of the stuff in New England lumber camps for jury-rigging and makeshift purposes, so that hay wire outfit became the "contemptuous term for loggers with poor logging equipment" [bryant, "Logging," 1913]. Its springy, uncontrollable quality led to the sense in go haywire (by 1915).

THANKS ALL! I'm really excited about it!

@ TMAN- [lol] As Paul Harvey used to say "Now you know...the REST of the story!" Thanks Bro!

@ BENCE- [love][lol] I'll post pics of both! The wife will love me for that...!

@ Kidblast- yeah- those single coils will rock through those models and my tube amp too! Got called in last night for rehearsal as the "Team 2" guitarist couldn't make it. Again, the Mustang shone!

@ Karloff & Emma- thanks! I'll post pics when I'm finally able to put it down!

Thanks for the info on the pups, too! I used to replace my G&L pups with Fralins slightly overwound. But I hear so many good things about the fat 50s, Tex Specials (some hate 'em, I know) and the standards that come in the American Standards are killer, to me too!

Brian

Archived