Gibson Brands Forums

Hello to all-Caution Red Gibsons

tuneitfred

Hello to all

I've been lurking for quite a while and finally signed up. Gibsons and Bourgeois are my favorite acoustic guitars. I've yet to meet a Gibson I didn't like and have actually loved one or two. I've posted a picture of three of my red (cherry) Gibson acoustics. Two '97 J-200 Jr's and a 2003 J-185. I know red isn't for everyone but neither are Gibsons.

Fred

redgibson.jpg

Hello to all

I've been lurking for quite a while and finally signed up. Gibsons and Bourgeois are my favorite acoustic guitars. I've yet to meet a Gibson I didn't like and have actually loved one or two. I've posted a picture of three of my red (cherry) Gibson acoustics. Two '97 J-200 Jr's and a 2003 J-185. I know red isn't for everyone but neither are Gibsons.

Fred

Well' date=' if you're a sometime lurker, you'll know that I also like these two models a fair bit! Welcome to the group!

There's gotta be a story behind the two red J-200Jrs from 1997 -- they built hardly ANY of that model to begin with in the period 1995-1998, so to have two red ones, that must have been a custom order or special run, for one of the favoured dealers, like Fuller's or Dave's, etc.

Here's a pair of sunbursts (but with a ton of glare -- sorry!):

[img']http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/shrimer/J-200JrJ-185.jpg[/img]

Regards from another Fred

Fred

One of the '97's I bought at Fullers brand new. The other I got used from a shop in Florida. They both have the standard label and markings, nothing that would designate them as a special run or custom shop. I love the small jumbo maple/sitka combination. Crispt clear punchy midrange in a comforable package.

Thinking back I think that I bought a J-200 jr. twelve string in sunburst from you about 10 years ago. Anyway that guitar is long gone. Sold it to a guy that wanted a whole lot more that I did.

Fred

Fred

One of the '97's I bought at Fullers brand new. The other I got used from a shop in Florida. They both have the standard label and markings' date=' nothing that would designate them as a special run or custom shop. I love the small jumbo maple/sitka combination. Crispt clear punchy midrange in a comforable package.

Thinking back I think that I bought a J-200 jr. twelve string in sunburst from you about 10 years ago. Anyway that guitar is long gone. Sold it to a guy that wanted a whole lot more that I did.

Fred[/quote']

Ha! Isn't that interesting! I remember that 12-er quite well -- got it used (maybe 5-6 years old at the time) from a shop in the upper midwest. I asked Ren about it, and he said "If it's held together till now, it must be a good one!"

The 200Jr looks quite fetching in the trans red finish.

I think of the 200Jr as a J-185 all dressed up to go out on the town.

Good luck with the J-185 sale. Does it have a maple neck or a mahogany neck?

the other Fred

Archived