Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

jannusguy2

Well, I sold my Western Classic to make way for this OM 28 Marquis Madagascar. It's an exceptional guitar and a nice complement to my OM 18GE. Probably going to move my D size Martins and another Gibson as I thin the herd to a more manageable number. This OM is a keeper.

image_zpsxpnlrzis.jpeg

image-1_zpsejczx2gb.jpeg

Whoa! That is a beautiful and dramatic looking instrument. Love it. I can only imagine how gorgeous she sounds. Once you're played around with her enough to get a sense of her strengths and weaknesses (?), let us know. I imagine she has a stronger bottom end than we'd expect (or maybe we do, since she's a Martin) and likely a complex tonal blend. Woodsy or shimmering? Or both?

Did you pick her out of a line-up? Or did you custom order?

In any event, congrats, congrats and congrats.

What does this mean as per your collection? What are you keeping? What might be going? I likely can't afford anything you'll be letting go of, but a boy can dream!

Whoa! That is a beautiful and dramatic looking instrument. Love it. I can only imagine how gorgeous she sounds. Once you're played around with her enough to get a sense of her strengths and weaknesses (?), let us know. I imagine she has a stronger bottom end than we'd expect (or maybe we do, since she's a Martin) and likely a complex tonal blend. Woodsy or shimmering? Or both?

What does this mean as per your collection? What are you keeping? What might be going? I likely can't afford anything you'll be letting go of, but a boy can dream!

Nice figure there, Rob. Been interesting watching your collection evolve.

It's been a fun little journey and I've been egged on by hanging around this place! I'm likely going to keep: 1951 J45, J200TV, Smeck/JB prototype, OM 18GE and this OM 28. Oh and an old Goya G10 with a UST on it that just rocks plugged in. Probably gonna sell: 1946 SJ, 1960 D18, 1971 D28. And the WC200 is gone. So, six seems like a nice round number and I have the different sizes and tone woods that interest me. My daily player has been the OM 18 as the size is well suited for sitting on the couch playing Beatles songs. [smile]

I found this listed on UMGF at Brothers Music in Pa. It's a 2007 that does not appear to have been played at all. I think it belonged to a collector. I will weigh in on the tonal aspects after a few days of playing it. It does have a nice low end that is not too overpowering, which pleases me.

Wow!

Congratulations.

What a piece of timber on the back!

I have the EIR 2012 OM28 Marquis and it is sensational. As I have a spare guitar or 2 [biggrin] , I keep it in DADGAD tuning. Dreamy is the description! On the very slightly negative side, it is not much of a blues guitar [unsure]

BluesKing777.

jannusguy, how about a picture of the Goya you're fond of? I've always had a weakness for the aesthetics of old Goyas.

Here's the Goya. It was a gift from a co-worker. It had belonged to his father who passed away. When I received it had some old rumpus room wall paneling cut up and serving as a pick guard. I had the one you see put on and the UST, that KS Daddy suggested, installed. It sounds killer through my Acoustisonic!

happyfun5.jpg

Archived