Gibson Brands Forums

An FYI on UPS-MI

Silvercrow

I can spell it with spell check...

Just an experience I had I'd like to pass on FWIW. UPS and USPS have a collaboration they call UPS-MI (mail innovations). I ordered some small items (less than 1 pound) and Musician's Friend uses UPS-MI when small packages meet their dimensional and weight requirements. (What they are specifically, I don't know).

SO...the package goes to UPS, UPS dropps it off at a USPS mail "hub", and USPS delivers the package to you. Simple right? Well, my package left Indiana, went to New Jersey, got lost somewhere between New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and 11 days later...yes, 11 days, it arrived at my door. Checking the map, Pennsylvania is West of New Jersey, East of Indiana. How this makes sense or is "innovative" is beyond me. How it saves money for a company is WELL beyond me. But I'm not a businessman!

M.F., upon qiestioning them, will not comment on the service itself other than to explain the "system" as I tried to, above.

Convoluted...IMO.

The M.F. rep told me to avoid this with packages less than 1 pound, in the future, I must ask specifically to have the package go UPS ground. Good to know.

BTW- three sets of strings, a set of strap lock buttons and some picks weigh less than a pound...

Brian

We have been greatly ruined by free shipping and taking for granted things will just get to us.

Shipping was a pretty good scam at the beginning, then became a cost of doing business, as it should have been.

All business sees all things as potential revenue generators. Shipping is becoming that again, like it started. In order to have any predictability at all about when our stuff will get here we will have to pay more, that's just how it is going to be. Keep in mind that costs for everyone involved have leveled or gone down in the last 15 years, but they just can't resist or live without that revenue. Sucks.

rct

We have been greatly ruined by free shipping and taking for granted things will just get to us.

Shipping was a pretty good scam at the beginning, then became a cost of doing business, as it should have been.

All business sees all things as potential revenue generators. Shipping is becoming that again, like it started. In order to have any predictability at all about when our stuff will get here we will have to pay more, that's just how it is going to be. Keep in mind that costs for everyone involved have leveled or gone down in the last 15 years, but they just can't resist or live without that revenue. Sucks.

rct

All points understood; the only exception is that businesses not only look at revenue generators but also at what cuts into the revenue generated. I get that- and personally, I am amazed that a company like MF can ship out a guitar at rock bottom prices, get it to me in less than 3 days and not charge me anything! Happy and amazed!

Also personally- if the cost of doing business is impacted by offering me free shipping on small / low dollar amount packages, charge me a reasonable fee. No problem in my world. OR AT LEAST say up front that "our free shipping, offered on small packages, is slightly more efficient than trying your package to a carrier pigeon and releasing said pigeon in the correct direction...LOL.

One of my points being how can it be cost effective having a small package handled through two different carying entities, over all thos miles, at least 4 facilities and who knows how many trucks / vehicles?

What am i missing here?

Again- M.F. made it right and I have no problems with them. Just that this "innovation" seems a trifle backwards to me...

Brian

Archived