Gibson Brands Forums

Sarah Jarosz.....

Murph

In case you've never heard of her.

Saw her live when she was just 16, playing for a workshop in Austin, her home at the time (not sure if she's moved elsewhere by now). As I remember she played banjo, mandolin, guitar, and sang, all with seeming ease and love of the music . You could tell she was big-time material.

What kind of guitar/instrument is that 8-string gizmo?

I'll be darned if it don't seem like an 8-string guitar.

I suppose it's some kind of baritone mandolin? Mandola?

I've got a mandolin with 6 (single-course) strings that plays like a guitar (tuned one octave above a guitar). Maybe this is the opposite, a guitar that plays like a mandolin.

I think she's been nominated for 2-3 Grammy Awards in the folk/country areas. One of those marvelous songwriter/performers that is too talented and not outrageous enough to get into the mainstream radio rankings. Never seen her "live," but I first heard her on a CD 5-6 years ago. For me, a lot of her music has a real "slice of life" sound and feel to it. She's folksy and kind of like country used to be. Real easy-to-listen-to. However, she doesn't sing about getting laid or wearing tight jeans, so it's doubtful she'll get any major radio play........It's a common lament about the lack of good artist and music and often the complaints are valid. Still, there's some great talent out there. We just have to look for it.

Archived