Gibson Brands Forums

Fairbanks Guitars

fp

I saw on Facebook where John Thomas is loaning Dale Fairbanks his 43 SJ and Dale will make 25 copies of it.

You can be assured that these guitars Dale turns out will be a lot better representation of JT's 43 then the ones that Gibson did in 2013.

I saw on Facebook where John Thomas is loaning Dale Fairbanks his 43 SJ and Dale will make 25 copies of it.

You can be assured that these guitars Dale turns out will be a lot better representation of JT's 43 then the ones that Gibson did in 2013.

I have never seen the Gibson Re-Issue. Anyone have one, played one? It may have the huge chunky neck like the early Legends. Fairbanks guitars are highly desired, makes what has been said to be a fabulous 12-Fret ala Smeck. Interesting - wonder how many of those SJs Gibson produced and if any might still be sitting NOS on someones shelves.

Dan, I had both the J45 and the SJ. To me the J45 was the better of the two. It was more lively, lighter and had the correct 19 frets. The SJ wasn't as good of sounding guitar and had 20 frets, go figure. I just couldn't bond with either one which seems to be par for me with modern Gibson's for some reason.

I only know Fairbans by their reputation.

The question is will Fairbanks place the top bracing in their clone off center and at an angle as opposed to the way it was supposed to have been installed.

ZW: The crazy off-center "X" brace is on JT's went to WWII guitar - this Fairbanks project is using what JT used to refer to as his "Minty" '43 SJ.

Ah, my ears were burning for a reason!

Thanks to those expressing an interest in the Fairbanks Kalamazoo Gal SJ. I’m quite excited about this project. (I’ve no financial interest in the project.) Dale Fairbanks builds wonderful guitars, will duplicate my guitar to the finest degree possible (with the exceptions noted below), and each of the 25 guitars will bear a label signed by an original Kalamazoo Gal. Oh, and most importantly, Dale will be donating a portion of the proceeds of each sale to a fund to purchase and install on the old Gibson factory building in Kalamazoo, MI a plaque commemorating the efforts of the Kalamazoo Gals.

As for the guitar to be duplicated, it is, indeed, my “minty” 1943 SJ that was re-inspected by its original 1943 Gibson inspector. That guitar also appears on the track “So Sweet” on the CD companion to Kalamazoo Gals. A photo:

So%20Sweet%20SJ%202735-12_zpsbo0121qj.jpg

I’ve loaned the guitar to Dale for the duration of the project and have also given him detailed X-rays and CT-scans of the instrument. This said, subject to customer preference, Dale will make 3 small changes to the original specifications:

1. The neck. The original guitar bears a Louisville slugger neck profile. Unless the purchaser prefers otherwise, Dale will produce a slightly more player-friendly neck profile, though one that is still Banneresque.

2. Truss rod. The original does not have an adjustable truss rod (it bears the substituted maple “V” insert). Again, subject to purchaser preference, Dale will install an adjustable truss rod that is adjustable from inside the body, a la Martin. The headstock will bear the ever classy “Only a Kalamazoo Gal is Good Enough” banner.

3. Pick guard. The originals had the pickguard under the finish. Dale (subject to preference) will install the pickguard, made from vintage celluloid, over the finish.

Famed graphic artist Robert Armstrong created the label:

Fairbanks%20Kalamazoo%20Gal%20Label_zpsokxealwd.jpg

Oh, and the went-to-WWII SJ now and for another six months, or so, resides in the Kalamazoo Valley Museum:

Kalamazoo%20Gals%20WWII%20Exhibit%20Visitor_zpsputrlvm6.jpgWWII%20Guitar%20Exhibit_zpsn2by6nxb.jpg

John, thanks for posting the info here. You couldn't have picked a better luthier then Dale to do this project.

Dale has been more then gracious to me when I've sent him e-mails, picking his brain about certain aspects of building, trying to apply what he's told me to my own builds.

In the UK the Fairbanks Roy Smeck F30 Model received full marks in the publication Acoustic Guitar magazine . The guitar reviewed had indeed a modified neck profile a normal Adirondack Spruce top with a UK price of £3,850 . One aspect of the guitar I loved was the quality and thinness of the shaded top and lacquer . If I was considering a purchase in that price range it would be top of my shopping list via one quick phone call to the North American Guitar Centre msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Has Fairbanks considered torrefied tops for this project?

I know that Dale has thought about torrified tops, but I don't know his opinion on them. Not everyone, of course, is of the same opinion. When I was last in Nashville, George Gruhn told me that he's not a fan of torrification.

In the UK the Fairbanks Roy Smeck F30 Model received full marks in the publication Acoustic Guitar magazine . The guitar reviewed had indeed a modified neck profile a normal Adirondack Spruce top with a UK price of £3,850 . One aspect of the guitar I loved was the quality and thinness of the shaded top and lacquer . If I was considering a purchase in that price range it would be top of my shopping list via one quick phone call to the North American Guitar Centre msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

I'm glad that folks at The North American Guitar are liking Fairbanks guitars! It was I who recommended Dale's work to Michael Watts there.

Hey jt , why would gruhn or someone like him not be a fan of torrification?

Are there downsides??

BB,

George played identical new Martins for me, one with a cooked and one with an uncooked top. He opined that although the cooked top was louder, he thought it less nuanced. To be honest, I couldn't hear much difference.

Archived