Gibson Brands Forums

pen marks on a les paul

RONNIESIZE

hi all,

just wanted to ask the best way to remove pentel pen markings on a les paul?

my friends offering me his 95 LP studio for $600 but it has pentel pen markings done by his son.

Whats the best way to remove them without affecting the finish?

thanks for the info guys

hi all' date='

just wanted to ask the best way to remove pentel pen markings on a les paul?

my friends offering me his 95 LP studio for $600 but it has pentel pen markings done by his son.

Whats the best way to remove them without affecting the finish?

thanks for the info guys[/quote']

What is a "pentel" pen? Am I the only person here that doesn't know what that means?

You could try buying a small bottle of acetone- ladies use it to remove nail polish.

First draw some of the permanent (not washable) marker on, say, the leg of an unwanted piece of 'finished' furniture and see if the acetone removes it. I reckon it should do it easily. If you can get it, use the actual marker pen which the kid drew on the guitar with.

Once you've established that the acetone will shift the pen from finished wood, the important part is seeing what effect acetone has on the guitar's nitro. This is the bit I don't know. You could wipe a drop of acetone on a very small inconspicuous area on the back of the guitar and leave it for a couple of minutes before removing all traces using damp cloths. If this has not affected the nitro then go for it on he actual pen marks (still cautiously, again testing on a small inconspicuous area to start with).

the important part is seeing what effect acetone has on the guitar's nitro. This is the bit I don't know.

Acetone is the main ingredient in a mix of solvents that's sold as LACQUER THINNER. It will strip the nitro off your guitar.

Problem is that alcohol is usually used to remove permanent marker, but it also will soften nitro and can leave white spots. I'm afraid the alcohol in the marker ink dissolved into the finish and it can't be repaired without touching up the clearcoats at least.

So if naptha (lighter fluid) doesn't remove it, you're screwed.

Naptha eh?

Let me try that one when i buy the giitar this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys!

What BobV said would worry me. Can't you agree to try the naptha before you buy?

If the pen marks are bad and you can't get them off you may regret it.

If he won't let you, maybe you should walk away.

Isnt that Moth balls?.....I hate the smell of Moth balls...It so hard to spread their little legs.

HIIIoooOOOoo!

NICE! :-

i always understood that "pentel pens" were normal ballpoint pens. would that change the fact that you would use naphta? maybe not.

Archived