Gibson Brands Forums

The "SG" must stand for "Standard Guilt"

Spike~

Soo.... I'm at that fateful point where I have a Special and wish I had bought a Standard. I have said in other threads that I went with the Special because I liked that vintage finish appeal, however its not exactly what I wanted and I feel worse knowing I had the money to buy a Standard and opted not to. I can sell the Special but i'd be out about 250$. Which I could swing and still afford the Standard. I do have one question; is the neck binding yellow or white? I have seen some where the binding seems to be a discoloured yellow. Some people call that vintage but... I think the white (like on the Classic) looks better.

So please, pursuade me. Sing the praises of the Standard so I don't feel so bad about taking the loss here.

Cant you take her back?

Foolishy I did not read the return clause carefully enough. (Didn't plan on returning it' date=' big mistake) I can return the Guitar within 30 days, yes, for [b']store credit[/b] only.

^ to that picture above, are they all like that with the yellow neck binding? I swear some look white.

Dude, just answering ur question on the binding color, all sg standard bindings are the cream color. I personally searched about 20 guitar shops picking up over 100 sg standards and their all the same, but eventually when i was searching for the white binding i actually began to like the cream binding more... because u kno, its a goddamn sg. Yeah, but just telling u, the cherry finish just looks awesome with the cream binding, but the black with cream binding may take more time getting used to.

Dude' date=' just answering ur question on the binding color, all sg standard bindings are the cream color. I personally searched about 20 guitar shops picking up over 100 sg standards and their all the same, but eventually when i was searching for the white binding i actually began to like the cream binding more... because u kno, its a goddamn sg. Yeah, but just telling u, the cherry finish just looks awesome with the cream binding, but the black with cream binding may take more time getting used to.

[/quote']

Allparts.com sells all kinds of neck binding. Wouldnt it be possible to replace the binding since the neck is already routed?

There is nothing different about the guitars except for looks

...and the neck pick up. Specials have 490/490, Standards have 490/498.

Thanks Murph! I sold it, though.

Once you go Custom Shop, well......#-o

When I first saw a picture of Boston's guitar I thought it was actually my old one.

Allparts.com sells all kinds of neck binding. Wouldnt it be possible to replace the binding since the neck is already routed?

I dunno, u might be able to do it, but what i would recommend doing is getting the standard and just trying to live with it, and if you really cant stand it then resort to replacing the binding. All u would have to do is **** up the frets and u have the perfect excuse, lol (Jk)

Dude' date=' just answering ur question on the binding color, all sg standard bindings are the cream color. I personally searched about 20 guitar shops picking up over 100 sg standards and their all the same, but eventually when i was searching for the white binding i actually began to like the cream binding more... because u kno, its a goddamn sg. Yeah, but just telling u, the cherry finish just looks awesome with the cream binding, but the black with cream binding may take more time getting used to.

[/quote']

Contacted a local luthier, he said he could do any type of custom neck binding for me. Thinking of having some wood binding handmade for me in a darker shade than the fretboard eusa_dance.gif

Archived