Gibson Brands Forums

Insuring guitars

blindboygrunt

1444325418[/url]' post='1700767']

I have guitars named on house insurance, but obviously that won't cover gigs etc...

Any advice who to use?

Am in UK

Hi Check out UK Guitarist Magazine they normally have advertisements in most months for guitar insurance . Buy the way our home insurance covers me for my gear outside the house but not during paid employment or whilst in a parked car unattended , so separate insurance is the way to go

Try Allianz Musical Insurance 0800 048 0065They state that they can cover whilst performing and for unattended vehicles plus no excess cover can be arranged. Hope this has been a help

1444325418[/url]' post='1700767']

I have guitars named on house insurance, but obviously that won't cover gigs etc...

Any advice who to use?

Am in UK

Hi Check out UK Guitarist Magazine they normally have advertisements in most months for guitar insurance . Buy the way our home insurance covers me for my gear outside the house but not during paid employment or whilst in a parked car unattended , so separate insurance is the way to go

Try Allianz Musical Insurance 0800 048 0065They state that they can cover whilst performing and for unattended vehicles plus no excess cover can be arranged. Hope this has been a help

Thanks relic

£52 a year for £2000 guitar ....

+1 to the Allianz UK choice; that's who I use. 2 Les Paul guitars for about £7 a month. Lovely peace of mind. I've also asked them to insure hard-cases as separate items on the same policy, so if you need a decent case after yours has suffered some damage, with no excess to pay it's a no-brainer. So make sure you get stuff like that on there, too!

Thoroughly recommended.

I believe 58Relics point was accurate - for the US - if your guitar is more than a 'hobby' and you take it outside of the home (not lessons in home), your homeowners insurance will try to weasel out, depending upon the company and what you tell them.

I have often wondered if your instrument is damaged or stolen while at a gig - if the establishment would not be liable. Unless you sign a contract to the contrary - you should be able to claim it under their policy. Now, whether you collect is a separate issue but as we all know - anyone can sue anyone for anything since we have so many starving lawyers. To go a step further - if your guitar is damaged/destroyed in transit - you should be able to claim it as part of the damages under your auto insurance. Again, whether they would pay, or how much - depends upon the policy. But I know mine covers contents of the vehicle.

My point is - we often find we have insurance gaps - but there are also instances where we are double covered. Insurance Companies are not above selling you insurance you don't need. They will not review your homeowners and auto policies and tell you 'you're already covered, you don't need to buy a policy from me'. BUT - they are NOT above telling you when you file a claim - 'this sounds like it should be covered first by your homeowners, our policy is more of a 'supplemental' after they pay what they should." GLuck.

My babies are insured through my Travelers Homeowners policy. I was told that if stolen at a paid gig I would not be covered. I don't gig, so that's no problem. One nice thing is that they insured them for list price or at least replacement value - not necessarily what I paid for them (I look for sale prices and have gotten some bargains). About $40,000 of coverage for about $167 a year.

Archived