Gibson Brands Forums

Winery Dogs

surfpup

I saw the Winery Dogs last night. Small room - maybe 500 people. Admit I did not go in knowing their stuff. I'd heard a few songs. But I left very impressed. True professionals who know how to do it. [thumbup]

Details and some obligatory (and crappy) cell phone pics below... if you're interested.

So I expected bombast and quite a few histrionics but instead the show was very balanced. Yeah, Sheehan did a bass solo. But most of the night was devoted to the melody of the songs. While those three are more than capable of tossing in face melting synchronized ripping at any moment (and they occasionally did) they really let the focus be Richie and the singing (which was excellent). Twice Kotzen even sat down at the electric piano. These were some of the best sounding moments of the night as Portnoy and Sheehan proved to be a rock solid R&B style rhythm section for those numbers. I definitely left impressed. [thumbup]

WD1.jpg

WD02.jpg

WD04.jpg

WD03.jpg

I'm working with Winery Dogs today. They just finished soundcheck and I want to club the FOH guy. Loud as ****. Mainly because the stage volume is ridiculous but still, he should tell them to dial it down. I pity anyone who shows up without ear protection.

Weird. I was only a few yards away last night - close to the stage left mains - and it was at all excessive.... quite comfortable in fact.

Weird. I was only a few yards away last night - close to the stage left mains - and it was at all excessive.... quite comfortable in fact.

SO weird....The dichotomy of Amurica today.....One man's "bain" ....anothers "pleasure"...We are "screwed"! [razz]

I'm working with Winery Dogs today. They just finished soundcheck and I want to club the FOH guy. Loud as ****. Mainly because the stage volume is ridiculous but still, he should tell them to dial it down. I pity anyone who shows up without ear protection.

++++1 JG2

Maybe you're already more deaf that you thought! I hope not. We're 30 min. into the show and there's no way I could stay in here with out ear protection. Interesting crowd. A lot of ancient strippers on hand.God bless 'em!

Surfpup- I was at the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall on Wednesday night where the Winery Dogs performed. I thought they were fantastic. I was particularly interested in seeing/hearing Kotzen play. He is everything and more than I was hoping for. It's amazing he can play like that and get that tone without using a pic. I agree with all of your comments- they were not just a three piece super group (well they are but), they had very well constructed songs and performed them exceptionally well. I'm a big fan, even more after seeing them perform live. If you have the chance, don't miss this show.

I noticed that Kotzen was playing through "Cornford amps." Never heard of them before. Two heads and 2 4x12 cabinets:

Here's one video I found of that night:

They went over BIG at the show by the way.

They are tearing it up on Oblivion.

On the live one it looks like he is not using a pick. Is that his norm, like Lindsey Buckingham?

Yep. He only used a pick once all gig - on an acoustic ballad he did solo. I was 20 feet from his hands all night and it was pretty interesting to watch. He doesn't "pretend" he has a pick in his hand like ProGuitarShop Andy does.. Uses the thumb and first finger mostly - but independently. Interesting technique - especially on the really fast lead parts.

I noticed that. He pulls that technique off as well as Jeff Beck. Still don't know how they can do that- not for me.

Have to be careful here... I have one of Richie's signature Tele's. They're wonderful guitars. It has the fattest neck of any of my guitars. Very well laid out with its design and electronics. 12" radius fret board, like Gibson.

I'm a Gibson guy they, I might add.

Archived