Gibson Brands Forums

That first ding - scuff

Mickthemiller

If I bought some nitrocellulose lacquer , what would I use to tint it black / brown ?

I use aniline dyes. I have had mine for years for woodworking projects. They used to come in liquid (maybe still do) and now powder as well. Stewmac has them not sure what your choices are on the other side.

Yup,Taylor Guitars are nice. To bad they don't finish them with Nitro. If that were a Gibson with Nitro it could be repaired in about 15 minutes at basically no charge.

exactly....

due to the process Taylor uses, the repair on my GS is ridiculous.

Check out what the Factory repair place on the east coast had to say:

all hope was lost after reading this

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your interest in my work and yes, Taylor uses a high tech finish that is cured by Ultra Violet light waves. I have been working with Taylor since 1993 and my shop is the only Premiere level service center in the US. I offer the same finish application that Taylor uses and regarding your guitar some possible remedies are listed below. If you schedule a visit with me I can explain these option in greater detail.

option 1

Remove ebony bridge and apply adhesive to crack, re-spray finish over existing finish. As the cedar wood fibers have been displaced the area will appear significantly darker because of a showing effect but the newly applied clearcoat will be smooth and glossy. Install new bridge and adjust action $427.

Option 2.

Remove bridge , pickguard and neck. Sand off entire clearcoat from soundboard, refinish top. $920.

Yup,Taylor Guitars are nice. To bad they don't finish them with Nitro. If that were a Gibson with Nitro it could be repaired in about 15 minutes at basically no charge.

exactly....

due to the process Taylor uses, the repair on my GS is ridiculous.

Check out what the Factory repair place on the east coast had to say:

all hope was lost after reading this

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your interest in my work and yes, Taylor uses a high tech finish that is cured by Ultra Violet light waves. I have been working with Taylor since 1993 and my shop is the only Premiere level service center in the US. I offer the same finish application that Taylor uses and regarding your guitar some possible remedies are listed below. If you schedule a visit with me I can explain these option in greater detail.

option 1

Remove ebony bridge and apply adhesive to crack, re-spray finish over existing finish. As the cedar wood fibers have been displaced the area will appear significantly darker because of a showing effect but the newly applied clearcoat will be smooth and glossy. Install new bridge and adjust action $427.

Option 2.

Remove bridge , pickguard and neck. Sand off entire clearcoat from soundboard, refinish top. $920.

I don't get the "remove bridge" part of the option 1? Doesn't the guy have painters tape? Or is there something I don't know? And "adjusting action" on a Taylor amounts to turning the truss rod :). I think I would get a second opinion.

...Remove ebony bridge and apply adhesive to crack...

Huh? Or am I blind? I don't see a crack - certainly nothing that needs "adhesive" or requires removing the bridge - just a rather deep ding or scratch that any decent woodworking guy should be able to fill and make invisible or nearly so. Betcha a good furniture guy could do it.

Is that diluted with the lacquer. Or with water first and then added ??

Thanks !

There are several products that can do the color job. Aniline dyes are the best. Just follow the directions.

Before you do anything clean the scratch. It might just be that white because of the build-up of polish that you used to try to get the finish to look better. Use a soft cloth or Q-tip that is damp but not wet. It doesn't look like the scratch goes down to the wood. It's impossible to know this from a photo. If it's just a finish scratch there might be enough color left and no dye will be necessary. Who knows you might get lucky.

Just remember this don't add to the damage. Just bite the bullet and get an expert to look at it. The cost to repair it will be minimal. Well under $100.00. You will never be able to see it.

Please don't use anything but Nitro on your guitar. This new glue and plastic finish material looks good but it isn't consistent with the nitro and you may end up with quite a mess. It would certainly void any warranty if the top were to fail later.

Please let us know how you are doing with this as many here have no idea how repairable Nitro is and it will be a huge benefit to many that are resigned to living with damage that is easily repairable.

Cheers hogeye.

I hear ya. I won't be doing a thing unless I'm confident that I won't mess it up.

The scratch doesn't go to the wood , although I haven't used any polish on it ....

Well , I did , but it looked like that before . it may be little specs of scraped lacquer that are making it white ?

I'll try the q tip and see what happens..

Huh? Or am I blind? I don't see a crack - certainly nothing that needs "adhesive" or requires removing the bridge - just a rather deep ding or scratch that any decent woodworking guy should be able to fill and make invisible or nearly so. Betcha a good furniture guy could do it.

The Taylor finish is not repairable in the traditional sense. You can't sand it 'cuz it will only make the damage worse. You can't fill it either. Over spraying is not an option. The only option is to mask off the top and then strip it. Some will strip the entire guitar and start all over. Very few can apply the new finish and it's best to send the guitar to Taylor.

They need to take the bridge off to get the entire finish off. Masking the bridge and trying to work around it is not an option.

It looks like a simple process but a good furniture guy will not be familiar with the type of finish Taylor uses. The varnish, oil, or lacquer finish used in a good furniture repair shop is nothing like the U.V.-cured finish Taylor uses. It takes a lot of $$$ to have a spray booth that can spray the finish Taylor uses and very few have the equipment.

If I owned the guitar I would strip the entire guitar and have a good repair station refinish it with Nitro. Maybe put a nice sunburst on it. The guitar will sound amazing and it will be easy to repair in the future. It makes no sense to strip it and re-apply that unforgiving finish. A Taylor with a Nitro finish would be a tone monster for sure.

.Remove ebony bridge and apply adhesive to crack...

yea, that threw me a bit too..

but Hogeye seems to have the right answer, in fact, from what I've leaned about these finishes he is spot on with everything he mentioned.

This repai guy also said "remove the pick guard".. well if he knew the year and the model I have, he'd know, there aint one. (A minor knit I suppose) anyway, when I read the price quotes, I just stopped reading. WTF? seriously?

since I have already gotten two other opinions from very good repair guys, the last option at this point is to call Taylor explicitly.

I still may try that one last avenue, but for that option, shipping alone would be close to $200 (I'd probably have to pay the freight from the east cost, to west coast and back)

So I guess for now, I grin and bear it. sucks as it's the best acoustic I've ever had, out of the 4 I currently own, it had to be this one??? !!Oyvhey!!

at this point I'm not sure what I will do. leaving it alone is an option. it still plays and sounds like it ever did I guess it's like a girl with a gorgeous face and beautiful eyes, but a nasty scar on her cheek from a car accident.

...sigh...

The Taylor finish is not repairable in the traditional sense. You can't sand it 'cuz it will only make the damage worse. You can't fill it either. Over spraying is not an option. The only option is to mask off the top and then strip it. Some will strip the entire guitar and start all over. Very few can apply the new finish and it's best to send the guitar to Taylor.

They need to take the bridge off to get the entire finish off. Masking the bridge and trying to work around it is not an option.

Yes Hogeye I understand the need to remove the bridge if he were to go w/option 2. I was speaking to the "option 1". If he was just going to fill the crack I thought that two of the steps appeared to be padding the estimate a little.

+1 for a nitro finish!

Thanks for the lesson on Taylor finishes Hogeye. As Johnny Carson used to say: "I did not know that! That is wild, crazy stuff!"

Didn't mean to bloviate but once I get started it's hard for me to stop. I just wanted to let you know that all is not lost. Just bite the bullet and have the finish replaced with Nitro at very little expense and you will be a very happy Taylor owner. As nice as your guitar sounds now it will be a monster when you get that plastic stuff off and get a living breathing Nitro finish on it.

Please keep us up to date on what you decide. I know this is a Gibson Forum and all but at the end of the day we are all brothers under the finish.

Didn't mean to bloviate but once I get started it's hard for me to stop. I just wanted to let you know that all is not lost. Just bite the bullet and have the finish replaced with Nitro at very little expense and you will be a very happy Taylor owner. As nice as your guitar sounds now it will be a monster when you get that plastic stuff off and get a living breathing Nitro finish on it.

Please keep us up to date on what you decide. I know this is a Gibson Forum and all but at the end of the day we are all brothers under the finish.

Wow; a new word: "Bloviate".

"Bloviate is closely associated with U.S. President Warren G. Harding, who used it frequently and who was known for long, windy speeches. H.L. Mencken said of him, "He writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."

I'm glad I came here tonight! Thanks Hogeye.

I appreciate your opinion Hogeye.

I think I'll make a few more calls when I'm back from vaca week after next to see what this sort of option entails.

Also should mention I sort of have a halfarsed plan to buy a J200 next year. if I do that, I'll probably start to unload some of the collection to offset the $4k that dance will cost.

Thanks again man!

/ray

Archived