Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting volume and tone while playing...

daveinspain

I always liked to play with the controls, and since I tried the 50 wiring even more. Especially with the 59 Tribute HB's, because they can be very bright and then the tone control comes really handy.

Here is another video I remembered. He doesn't play in the same league like the other players mentioned before, but the video is nice.

I ALWAYS use the controls on the guitar.

2 reasons why I think it's a good idea 1) the idea that a guitar sounds better all the way up is a myth, and 2) controlling volume as I play with others is to me, one of the most important things that makes a band sound better.

A man's GOT to be in control of his own volume.

It's a deep subject for me, and an interesting one.

On a performance level, I think where a guitarist sits in the mix volume-wise helps a LOT with the sound of the whole thing, and makes the other players also perform better. Just considering 2 guitarist and a bass player, even if they all 3 play the same thing the same way, where each is to each other volume-wise can make the whole thing sound different or better.

And...also HOW I play is way more versatile by controlling the volume knob. There is a lot of extremes that are "cool", like plucking heavily muted or softly (volume up), or banging hard and full (volume way down).

I ALWAYS use the controls on the guitar.

2 reasons why I think it's a good idea 1) the idea that a guitar sounds better all the way up is a myth, and 2) controlling volume as I play with others is to me, one of the most important things that makes a band sound better.

A man's GOT to be in control of his own volume.

It's a deep subject for me, and an interesting one.

On a performance level, I think where a guitarist sits in the mix volume-wise helps a LOT with the sound of the whole thing, and makes the other players also perform better. Just considering 2 guitarist and a bass player, even if they all 3 play the same thing the same way, where each is to each other volume-wise can make the whole thing sound different or better.

And...also HOW I play is way more versatile by controlling the volume knob. There is a lot of extremes that are "cool", like plucking heavily muted or softly (volume up), or banging hard and full (volume way down).

I hear you and I have done this. But I feel a little guilty when I do. There are 7 players in my band, and after the soundcheck, I really shouldn't be messing with the balance any more.

I rarely, if never, touch my Tone knobs. I sometimes roll down the volume knob on the Bridge PU for cleaner tone or less distortion when I use my Grunge (heavy distortion) pedal. I usually switch to middle PU position for come cleans and Neck PU for mellow leads.

Depends on what and with whom I'm playing. Generally if it 's like blues rock stuff I leave the knobs alone and just vary my attack. With my current alt-countryish trio I use the volume knob a lot to back down and let the vocals be emphasized. But I rarely touch a tone knob - except on a Tele if the bridge pickup is sounding too biting.

If I can get any sound with 57's, it's another thing with my LP Custom with 490/498.

They provide a more readymade sound, turning the knobs doesn't affect the sound that much. With my band, I use the knobs to lift or lower my sound in the mix. To achieve different sounds, I use different amp channels and settings.

//Robert

Archived