Gibson Brands Forums

Chris Stapleton

kwalker201

Chris is awesome.

The thing about song writing for others is you don't have to travel to sell your music.

I believe Chris and his wife were raising a young family, any would rather spent time together than spend 250 days on the road.

His work with the Steel Drivers is pretty awesome too, but it's more modern bluegrass, kinda sorta. He only made 1 album with them.

The producer for Chris's album Traveler is David Cobb, who also produced some of Jason Isbell albums. Good stuff too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OG8Y7wDUVo

It would almost be blasphemy to have one of his songs done by the current crop of mainstream radio's boy country bands.

You hit it just right! Don Henley has a new record out; a country record and it is very country and very good. He made a comment in the latest edition of Acoustic Guitar Magazine "country music today is unrecognizable". He is right on the money. Maybe with his record, Chris Stapleton's, and new artists like Mo Pitney, the pendulum will start to swing back where it should be.

Stapleton is one of a dying breed. One of those guys who fits-in so easily with the era of people like Dylan, Cash, George Jones, Patsy Cline. One of those folks with real talent.....an era when soon as you heard the voice you knew who was singing. No hip-hop beats or rap lyrics or that robotic voice crap some of them use.

I'm in full agreement here about preferring real country to the stuff that passes for country music on commercial stations currently. I'm not sure the pendulum will ever swing back. Generally, there will be a few artists who adhere to the old school who will be appreciated by the likes of us, but today's modern country fan is often a disgruntled '70s hard rock fan who considers modern country to be filled with the loud guitars and bruising drums of their beloved '70s rock.

Of course, there's 'alt.country' for those who prefer something nearer to the real thing, but with a gentler rock backbone. Straight old school country is HARD to find.

Archived