Gibson Brands Forums

Need Some Amp Opinions

carranoj25

Been thinking about getting a new amp and have been eyeballing the Marshall AFD 100 (the Slash amp). Checked out some Youtube videos and the thing sounds wicked.

However, was recently notified of this amp which looks pretty similar so Im not sure.

Here is the Ceriatone amp:

http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_71&product_id=67

Here is the Marshall AFD:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-slash-signature-afd100-appetite-for-destruction-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Id probably go for the Slash one but just cos I think hes cool...

I got a Slash SL5 combo which I love the sound of so much.... If I were a head/cab guy id probably want one of those AFDs....

Even though in saying all of that I believe (I may be wrong) that both the AFD head AND even my little amp are based off a JCM800 which he used to record Appetite so maybe you just wanna go for the original? (or at least check it out).. Cant really beat an 800 (well for my taste anyway). I just could never justify the cost myself cos I don't play out or anything (let alone be able to afford one)....

Id probably go for the Slash one but just cos I think hes cool...

I got a Slash SL5 combo which I love the sound of so much.... If I were a head/cab guy id probably want one of those AFDs....

Even though in saying all of that I believe (I may be wrong) that both the AFD head AND even my little amp are based off a JCM800 which he used to record Appetite so maybe you just wanna go for the original? (or at least check it out).. Cant really beat an 800 (well for my taste anyway). I just could never justify the cost myself cos I don't play out or anything (or be able to afford one)....

Well I have a 50 watt JCM800 (non-modded)... I believe Slash's was modded. But i also don't have an FX loop, attenuator, or 6550's. And if i were to put all these extra commodities in, Id' rather just get the new amp with more gain

Well I have a 50 watt JCM800 (non-modded)... I believe Slash's was modded. But i also don't have an FX loop, attenuator, or 6550's. And if i were to put all these extra commodities in, Id' rather just get the new amp with more gain

Yeah, fair enough then... Im no amp expert but there are several on here, hopefully they will join in cos ive never seen or played the other make...

But I know the Slash ones are GREAT.. Getting that 80s rock sound with them is easy :)

You probably saw this one right?

Axe® who used to post here quite a bit had a few of the AFD100 heads and said they were great.

That said the Ceriatone will be wired on turret board instead of a printed circuit board. Some of us feel that makes a difference to the ear. I have owned an 18 watt Ceria clone for quite a few years now and it's been great.

That's about all I know.

I had both the 50 and 100 watt JCM800's, and I thought to sound good, they had to be LOUD.

I guess the point is, they DO sound like "Slash", AFD, etc., or a lot of other things, but as far as getting that sound at the levels most guys play at, I haven't any real knowledge. I always assumed pedals, as that's what "we" used in the 80's, but also I understand attenuaters are what is used. Of which I know nothing about.

Said that to say, might be better to buy an attenuater that you could use for ALL your big fat Marshalls, because while it makes sense to buy another amp with this in it, it's kinda the same thing.

I had both the 50 and 100 watt JCM800's, and I thought to sound good, they had to be LOUD.

I guess the point is, they DO sound like "Slash", AFD, etc., or a lot of other things, but as far as getting that sound at the levels most guys play at, I haven't any real knowledge. I always assumed pedals, as that's what "we" used in the 80's, but also I understand attenuaters are what is used. Of which I know nothing about.

Said that to say, might be better to buy an attenuater that you could use for ALL your big fat Marshalls, because while it makes sense to buy another amp with this in it, it's kinda the same thing.

That's why I like my SL5 so much.. does the job on the sound at much lower levels... And goes from 5w-1w... and yet is still loud enough for a jam at a studio and im sure for live playing (even though ive never used it for that).

I like the Fender Twin Reverb, 80 watts or Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, 22 watts. I just recently bought a Supro Royal Reverb 1650Rt, 35,45,60 watts Class A and AB modes. A very interesting and great sounding amp. So many great sounding amps out there, pick the one that sounds best to you.

All these responses are great. Thanks for the input! My main concern relates back to my first post and understanding the differences between the two amps' links I posted. I would like to get the Marshall AFD but if another amp sounds just like it and is cheaper, I'd be all ears!

That said the Ceriatone will be wired on turret board instead of a printed circuit board. Some of us feel that makes a difference to the ear. I have owned an 18 watt Ceria clone for quite a few years now and it's been great.

Ceriatone does make some great amps. I bought one of the Matchless HC-30 head clones from Nik(I believe that is his name) several years back, and it was one of the better amps that I've owned. I ended up getting talked out of it by a bandmate that didn't want to carry his original DC-30 on the road anymore.

Marshall makes some fine amps. No question about that.

The 3 Ceriatone amps that I've played through were OUTSTANDING!

I'd go Ceriatone. I don't think you would regret it.

But always remember that amps are very similar to guitars, you always seem to want just one more!

Guest Farnsbarns

What is the difference between being wired on a turret board vs being printed on a circuit board?

Far sturdier. As for sounding different. You'll have to ask the electrons why they make a different sound on turret board than on circuit board because as far as I'm concerned it does not, and can not make any difference to sound unless the circuit board in question is really bad. (Excess resistivity or capacitance).

That said, I just had to resolder a load of joints on a nearly new fender circuit board so there really are advantages, just not in sound.

The choice? Entirely subjective but IMHO the cierratone will be better quality.

I can't tell exactly what the differences are between the two amps but I do know that the Ceriatone will have a better build quality than the Marshall. We are a Ceriatone dealer and their stuff is about as high quality as it gets. Ceriatone USA, the guys you posted a link to, are the least expensive people to purchase from. We can't touch them for price.

Nik, the guy at Ceriatone in Malaysia, is an absolute genius. They make clones of just about every great amp design. [thumbup]

I can't tell exactly what the differences are between the two amps but I do know that the Ceriatone will have a better build quality than the Marshall. We are a Ceriatone dealer and their stuff is about as high quality as it gets. Ceriatone USA, the guys you posted a link to, are the least expensive people to purchase from. We can't touch them for price.

Nik, the guy at Ceriatone in Malaysia, is an absolute genius. They make clones of just about every great amp design. [thumbup]

How is Ceriatone in terms of customer service and support if something goes wrong? I do like the fact they custom build it for you and it takes a few weeks before they ship it. AND it ends up being like half the price. Could potentially be a steal

Support is great. The "factory" is in Malaysia, so sending it back for service is kind of a pain but they have a bunch of certified techs and dealers in the US. Any guy who can work on Marshalls can work on the Ceriatones. [thumbup]

Yep. Mine blew the output transformer after a few years. An amp building buddy of mine replaced it easy peasy. The cheap stock transformers may be my only gripe with the Ceriatone build in fact. We've got decent nice piece of Chicago iron in there now from ClassicTone. [thumbup]

Archived