Gibson Brands Forums

Humidity Experiment #2

gearbasher

OK If you have an in-case hygrometer, where is it in the case?

I just performed a humidity experiment. My second one. I posted the results of the first one about a month ago.

I got six rather inexpensive hygrometers. Tested them against each other and all read within 1%.

I charged-up my humidifier (Planet waves-one that suspends between the strings and the sound hole is left open). I waited one week after adding water to the humidifier and placed two hygrometers in the body (lowered them in, on a string, down to the tailblock). I placed two by the heel of the neck. And two by the headstock. I left them there for 24hrs. Case standing straight-up. The humidity in the room fluctuated between 25 and 27%.

Results: Headstock: 29% and 30% / Heel: 39% and 39% / Body: 59% and 60%

BIG difference. Just curious: What do all you Anal Retentive/Obsessive Compulsives think about this? What should I be shooting for?

I keep 2 humidifiers in the case and typically use a sound hole type for the body. I put one by the headtock, one by the heel of the neck and then the sound hole one obviously in the guitar sound hole. I make my own for the cases by buying some of the "Glad" type small containers, a couple big sponges that I cut into 4 sponges and put 2 in each of my home made humidifiers. I pop some holes in the top of the lid and my cases and guitars stay evenly humidified during the winter months when my home is usually in the low 20% range. For about $3.00 I typically can get enough for 2-3 guitar cases. I re-fill every Sunday and more often if the sound hole one's need it.

My cases are always between 40% to 50%. I have heard from several people that 45% to 55% is the safest range. Here is how they look in the case:

PICT4567.jpg

PICT4568.jpg

PICT4569.jpg

And an up close look at the humidifiers...

PICT4570.jpg

PICT4571.jpg

I understand he humidity level should be 40-50%' date=' but where?

With my results, if I'm at 50% in the body the headstock would be around 25%. If at 50% at the heel, inside the body will be around 70%. And so on....[/quote']

I think the body would be the most important place to have proper humidity, and the most expensive to fix if you dont...I would go for low 50's in the body. If the frets still feel sharp I'd put an extra sponge by the neck....or lay the case down and test again.

Disclaimer: this is just my thinking, only a fool would take my advice on their expensive guitars.

I understand he humidity level should be 40-50%' date=' but where?[/quote']

+1 on what Wayne said. The most crucial part to keep properly humidified is the top. Dried out tops drop, messing up your set-up, and can crack, cause finish cracks, separate from braces, etc. Bad stuff! Sounds like the Planet Waves is doing the job for you there -- maybe even too good a job.

With my results' date=' if I'm at 50% in the body the headstock would be around 25%. If at 50% at the heel, inside the body will be around 70%. And so on....[/quote']

Neck humidity matters less. If the neck is really dry for a long time, the fretboard will shrink and you'll wind up with protruding fret ends. Cheap and easy to fix, compared to top problems, but also easy to avoid. So you might want to monitor the fret ends (tho', , if you keep the top properly humidified, I wouldn't expect major fretboard issues). Humidity at the headstock matters pretty much not at all.

Anyway, if you want to stick a second humidifier up by the headstock, for the benefit of the fretboard, feel free. Another approach would be to humidify the room, since 25% relative humidity is sub-optimal for people, not just guitars.

-- Bob R

....or lay the case down and test again

This is what I was thinking as well - how would the results differ you were to lay the case flat on the floor (if short on space, you could place it under a bed, couch, etc.)?

All the best,

Guth

+1 rar on the room humidifier !!

I have one I got for around $100 that has 4 gallon reservoir and keeps the main part of the house at about 40-45%. Helps both my wife and me breath better and feel better while also keeping the geetars happy too !!

Archived