Gibson Brands Forums

LR Baggs Element info Please

58 Relic

Good morning , I own a J45 fitted with the LR Baggs element system and I would like your advice on battery replacement . How often do you change your batteries with this system , as I have started to use this guitar live now I am a bit paranoid as no indication of battery use is on the system . I change the strings each month and the guitar gets plugged in for two hours a week , with the cable removed when not playing also do Gibson / LR Baggs make a sound hole feedback buster that allows access to the volume control . I find that when playing in church the singing from the congregation in front on me can enter the sound hole and cause some slight feedback issues this happens normally when playing an open D or A chord on the guitar .thanks for a great forum and for your help .

Howd you end up with a picture from one of my gigs??

One gig a week 2 or 3 hours for me and i change battery after 6 months or so , just to be sure its not going to go halfway through a gig.... Dont buy budget brand batteries , and always have a spare with you. Along with spare strings in case you snap one with slackening and retightening if you do need to change a battery .

Put a peice of paper with a date on it when you change a battery . its a hard thing to remember just when you changed it last.

Aside from that theres not much else to do.

Seeing as yours is a church gig a little prayer before you start each show might get you a little help from above :)

Oh, that was BBG's gig I slept through with him playing a Dobro? Best sleep I had in years.

Element - I have one in my J45 Standard and my Blues King L-00. I don't like the sound straight to an amp myself, but run to my Aura pedal it is just brilliant.

And then comes the real stupid - the Battery Bagg. I mean what tech nutto came up with that - middle of practice or worse, a gig, battery gives out with no warning and to make it even dumber, the strings need to be loosened to reach in and drag the thing out and change it, retune etc. Wow, the totally moronic combined with genius! Must have been from different departments in the same company.

Same with my Rare Earth removable soundhole pickup - who put the battery on the bottom side? Again, middle of playing something somewhere, anytime no warning, we have to take the pickup out with screwdriver, turn it over and pull a battery out. What?

I have the new Martin D18e Retro with Aura internal - not everyone's cup of tea with controls on the side of the guitar, though I think they are nicely subtle, and the battery goes in little barn door at the endpin end - flip the latch and the battery comes out, no wires, replace with another and away! And the brilliant - the little display for the tuner etc flashes when you have approx 1.5 hours play time left on the battery!

I still want that battery checker - the shops happily sell you batteries that have been around for longer than me!

We don't want to pray for the battery to last - we want exact details, thank you.

BluesKing777.

Good morning , I own a J45 fitted with the LR Baggs element system and I would like your advice on battery replacement.

Whoever decided that pickup batteries should be stuck away inside the guitar where you can't get to them easily, should be forced to listen to banjo music every day. [tongue]

The first thing I did to my used J45 when I got it was replace the Baggs with a K&K mini: no battery to worry about, and it sounds better.

Hello,

A normal feedback back buster will work fine. You may need to cut a small section away to accommodate the volume wheel. As far as the feedback you are experiencing I would suggest a Preamp / DI that has a notch filter on it. That will allow you to keep your volume up and slightly pull out the frequencies that are activated by the stage and mains sound.

JM

Good morning , I own a J45 fitted with the LR Baggs element system and I would like your advice on battery replacement . How often do you change your batteries with this system , as I have started to use this guitar live now I am a bit paranoid as no indication of battery use is on the system . I change the strings each month and the guitar gets plugged in for two hours a week , with the cable removed when not playing also do Gibson / LR Baggs make a sound hole feedback buster that allows access to the volume control . I find that when playing in church the singing from the congregation in front on me can enter the sound hole and cause some slight feedback issues this happens normally when playing an open D or A chord on the guitar .thanks for a great forum and for your help .

Hello there 58 Relic,

I also play a J-45 w/Baggs VTC Element pick-up, and I change strings every two weeks. The battery is changed every four weeks. To address your feedback issues, I would recommend the LR Baggs Session DI/Preamp. One of the many useful/effective features of this unit is a Notch Filter which works wonders with feedback issues such as yours.

Best of luck, David

I gig on a regular basis with either my Southern jumbo or J15. Both use the LR Baggs. The batteries last quite a while. Get in the habit of unplugging after you've set up and are waiting to play and in between sets. That will help save some juice. As has been stated also, keep a spare handy and note the date you change. (a piece of masking tape on the battery with the date written on is what I use). Use a good quality battery, don't cheap out on it.

I personally have no problems with the battery bag location. Rather have that than a hole in the guitar with a plastic cover.

If you are gigging on a regular basis and its a working instrument, then you should be regularly changing strings, checking batteries, checking the guitar setup etc etc

I own a Dove with the LR Braggs and its going on 6 months and the battery is fine and I play it often. all my Gibson acoustics that have the Fishmann system, I replaced them with the Anthem LR Braggs system.... Just sounds better and controls the feedback better

Archived