Gibson Brands Forums

Are these original tuners - 1945 J-45

duluthdan

You normally think of 1946 as the year of the non-banner script logo, so I'm not sure why he says it's 1945 unless there is an FON that has been reconciled with the shipping ledgers.

I also agree with ZW. I've never seen that decorative chasing on tuners from that period. But the 12:1 gearing is correct, so I don't know.

I may have a chance to look at this guitar later in the week in my travels. Do these tuners loo original? never have seen these 3 on a plate with the stamped out dimples.

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/home/1/newlisting/7

I have suddenly forgotten how to directly insert a picture...

Just wondering, but was it standard for Gibson to spray over the original bridge back in the day? This strikes me as odd. Also odd is that a guitar from the 50's - sitting in case or not - apparently has so few crackles in the finish ....

AE

You normally think of 1946 as the year of the non-banner script logo, so I'm not sure why he says it's 1945 unless there is an FON that has been reconciled with the shipping ledgers.

I also agree with ZW. I've never seen that decorative chasing on tuners from that period. But the 12:1 gearing is correct, so I don't know.

I had not looked at the photos of the guitar, just the one of the tuners. As you know, '46 Gibsons more often as not do not have an FON. So why the guitar is claimed to be a '45 is a good question although I would say the seller knows his stuff.

My 1946 script logo Bannerless LG-2 has "double" rivet tuners. I have also seen 1947 Gibsons with the waffle peen rivets.

I had not looked at the photos of the guitar, just the one of the tuners. As you know, '46 Gibsons more often as not do not have an FON. So why the guitar is claimed to be a '45 is a good question although I would say the seller knows his stuff.

My 1946 script logo Bannerless LG-2 has "double" rivet tuners. I have also seen 1947 Gibsons with the waffle peen rivets.

So ZW, would you term these ones "waffle peen" ? I have little serious interest at a guitar this pricey and collectable. I am more interested in that 1954 player that is there.

So ZW, would you term these ones "waffle peen" ? I have little serious interest at a guitar this pricey and collectable. I am more interested in that 1954 player that is there.

No - those are just plain screwed cogs. While I have always associated these style with rivets with guitars made in 1947 (on Martins as well as Gibsons), I believe they do show up occasionally as early as 1944.

You can compare to pictures of tuners here in the Gibson transitional registry (all put together by Willi Henkes of Antique Acoustics). I doubt the tuners are original, but what do I know. With that said, I think they look good. If they work fine, I would not mind if they turn out to be non-original.

Lars

You can compare to pictures of tuners here in the Gibson transitional registry (all put together by Willi Henkes of Antique Acoustics). I doubt the tuners are original, but what do I know. With that said, I think they look good. If they work fine, I would not mind if they turn out to be non-original.

Lars

I kinda agree, but the 8900$ price tag makes all the above questions like really important.

• 2 weeks later...

The 45/46 that was the original topic here, has been sold. Wasn't there by the time I dropped in. The 1954 -J45 is truly a players guitar. Weird Pickguard on iyt, probably easy enough to change. Sound very strong and round in the lower and midrange - very nice. Bridge plate has been repaired -nlooked like some oryt of blue epoxy or something that filled in the decades old chewing that seems to occur. Had a side crak on the drivers side hear the neck joint, perhaps 4 inches long, could not get alight on it with the mirror to see if and how the repair was. Has an older active K&Knpickup in it, with an 1/8th inch vintage jack. This one is really a player. http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_acoustics/7/inventory/12

The 45/46 that was the original topic here, has been sold. Wasn't there by the time I dropped in. The 1954 -J45 is truly a players guitar. http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_acoustics/7/inventory/12

It doesn't look terrible, but if were me, I'd be prepared to spend $5-6K, for which you can often find a '47-'51 in better condition. They made a ton of them, so it's just a matter of patience and perseverance.

Archived