Gibson Brands Forums

Odd Ducks in the Flock (No Gibson Content)

fromnabulax

This is a 2012 Fender Modern Player Marauder...

gyWxZqs.jpg

I don't know why, but they only made a handful of these ugly ducklings before they quit production. It's based loosely on a 1960s design that Fender never actually put into production which was also called the Marauder. It had four Strat style pickups mounted beneath the pick guard so as to make them invisible. This one is as you can see, is not quite so subtle.

I've souped mine up quite a bit from when I bought it. I replaced the not so good sounding fake Jazzmaster pickup with a Seymour Duncan 'Antiquity' that gives this thing much more of a warmer Jazzmaster sound, but this guitar is both smaller and lighter than a real Jazzmaster making the guitar easier on the back, shoulder and neck during long gigs.

The tremolo block I upgraded from whatever the cheap one was that came stock (honestly, I think it was even worse than a Squier trem) with a full on genuine Strat block, bridge and saddles which makes tuning stability, trem sensitivity, and intonation a dream.

I also substituted the original Strat style trem arm with a dinky little 'David Gilmour' style trem arm which fits very nicely under my palm. I set my trem rather tight so even the slightest bits of pressure give me a nice instantaneous response.

The Duncan triple rail humbucker gets mixed reviews by lots of guys, but I appreciate its versatility. The five way switch from neck to bridge goes (I think)

1. Neck Only

2. Neck and Front rail of Duncan.

3. All three rails of the Duncan.

4. Rear two rails of the Duncan

5. Rear rail only of the Duncan.

The number two position gives the axe something of a Stratocaster out of phase 'quack' but thanks to the Jazzmaster pickup, it packs a bit of extra warmth.

The middle position is fairly close to an all pickup sound of a Strat, while the number 5 rear rail only will give you that ice pick between the eyes totally Fender sound.

I have three of the Chinese built Modern Player Fenders, and this may be the best of the lot. The neck is chunky, but nowhere near as chunky as a Jazzmaster, and it's light enough to stay comfortable for extended periods of time.

I've seen some complain about the size of the old style headstock and it throwing the guitar off balance, but I've never had that problem.

It's not great in a band situation, it can get kind of lost in a full band mix, but if I am doing a solo gig playing lounge music at a restaurant, this thing sounds pretty good.

I think the street price was around $599.00 when it was available, and I got mine used in mint condition with a hard shell case for around $400.00 two years ago. It even still had the plastic on the pick guard.

I would be curious to see your own 'odd ducks'.

Well here's a 1981 bass that NOBODY can tell me anything about:

12122413_1036948793012663_1630665345960447977_n.jpg?oh=514b59e8f60468fba25a42be98c123c5&oe=571D5DFE

Minor oddball, a February 1987 Torino Red Strat with a gloss finish neck and the tremolo studs go directly into the body as opposed to into threaded inserts.

11951213_1012966838744192_1496837103481410999_n.jpg?oh=123e81059ad0f6a6487d305aee5aa579&oe=56D793D6

Here's a wreck I picked up this summer and haven't touched yet. It's a 1963 Fender King with a real rosette (not a decal), a quilted maple body (catalogued but I've never seen one) and it's also serial number 20.

11908069_1007250242649185_1122132734_n.jpg?oh=f2311560ad96a08e9b3a7d5692b3bed6&oe=567AB2CE

Probably more around here, I don't know.

My odd duck would be the GRB Kokocaster. It's made in Korea and is really a clone of the old Jackson Surfcaster. The name comes from the Kokopeli character on the headstock. Not normally what I would consider my style, but something about it caught my eye in the Used section of GC and I really liked the way it played. My wife ended up getting it for me as a surprise.

DSCF1803_zpsde49cd9a.jpg

Someone changed the original HB for a Seymore Duncan and I changed the black ring to creme colored.

cremepuring_zps3756463b.jpg

Well here's a 1981 bass that NOBODY can tell me anything about:

12122413_1036948793012663_1630665345960447977_n.jpg?oh=514b59e8f60468fba25a42be98c123c5&oe=571D5DFE

Not that I'm doubting you, but how do you know it's from 1981? I might have taken a guess that it was made at a place near me called October Guitars, but don't think they were around in 1981.

I'm basing that on a rubber stamp inside the pickup cavity and control cavity....June 22, 1981 or something like that.

This bass is a mystery that may never be solved. It has a stamped '300' on the back of the headstock but upside down. So was it meant to be upside down or is it 003 with an upside down 3?

Most people who see photos of it make nasty comments bout it having been made in someone's basement with a saber saw. Anyone who has seen it in person and seen the flame maple, quilted maple, walnut, ebony, abalone inlays and all the sculpting that went into it realize this is a professional grade instrument. The shape may not be to most people's liking but trust me when I say, it's not a high school shop project.

It has a Badass II bridge and what appear to be Schaller tuners with no logo. There was no pickup when I got it but the Lawrence humbucker that is now in it is a perfect, flawless, drop in fit, and Lawrence does not interchange with the typical humbucker. It's my belief that it originally had one.

I have raised the question about Bernie Rico, Jr. Many of his instruments have the exact same cutout as seen in the headstock of my bass. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a heart or something phallic or something satanic but I have definitely seen that SAME cutout in some of his, be it in the headstock or on the body somewhere.

I call it the Pinky Pariah.

12250136_1059013114139564_4923662614357758214_n.jpg?oh=b226df23fa7284b8f97ad9ad97ff52df&oe=56DC822E

This is a 2012 Fender Modern Player Marauder........It's based loosely on a 1960s design that Fender never actually put into production...

I do really LIKE that, fromnabulax!

[thumbup]

If the rearmost part was cutaway in an arc it would be quite reminiscent of the Fender 'Swinger' I used to own; also a '60s Fender design of which perhaps 300-400 examples were completed. I'd really like to get one of those to turn it into a sort-of 'Swinger-as-Fender-should-have-done-it-in-the-first-place' project - and there are not many times where that urge passes between my temples.

Nice!

As far as my lot goes they've all been posted before but for any fresh blood here are just a couple of the non-G's snapped on the Chair of Doom;

Early 1940's Antoine Di Mauro 'Model Special Chorus';

For%20thread%20Antoine%20Di%20Maurolo-res_zpsxce3wggu.jpg

2015 D'Angelico EXL-1 'Excel';

For%20thread%20DA%20Lo-res_zpsyuj9lj36.jpg

Pip.

Pippy,

As you know, we both share a passion for the D'Angelico EXL 1.

I admit, I had forgotten about the Fender Swinger. I may have to try and hunt one of those down myself.

Your Di Mauro is positively gnarly! It looks like it has the potential being thunderous. And that bridge! Just amazing!

My odd duck would be the GRB Kokocaster. It's made in Korea and is really a clone of the old Jackson Surfcaster. The name comes from the Kokopeli character on the headstock. Not normally what I would consider my style, but something about it caught my eye in the Used section of GC and I really liked the way it played. My wife ended up getting it for me as a surprise.

DSCF1803_zpsde49cd9a.jpg

Someone changed the original HB for a Seymore Duncan and I changed the black ring to creme colored.

cremepuring_zps3756463b.jpg

Those are really great playing guitars [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Here's my oddest duck, an Edwards by ESP. I imported this from Japan, which is the only country where they sell them. They fit somewhere between the super high-end ESP and the midrange LTD lines that we get here in the states. The build quality is insanely good and the flame cap is amazing.

20151222_190436_zpsapixnrkh.jpg

Archived