Gibson Brands Forums

Fingerpicking Flatpicking, or is that Flatpicking Fingerpicking?

BluesKing777

I have always like Doc Watson and Carter Family as well as a cast of thousands in that vein.

A lot of the guitar test videos from various guitar shops have flat pickers to get us interested in the guitars but I got interested in the playing instead....

As a holiday treat, before Christmas I bought some pure flatpicking lessons and played through the lessons fingerpicking only. (Mainly Thumb and Index Finger on the right hand - like a pick but can break out to all fingers if I want to.)

Lots of fun though. [biggrin] Some success, some flops but I have been plonking away since before Christmas now.

I thought some of you would enjoy these in just plain simple and basic flatpicking-ness, so here is a link or 2 - have a look at the videos in the links:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/styles-1/country-and-bluegrass/basic-country-flatpicking-guitar

http://www.guitarvideos.com/styles-1/country-and-bluegrass/flatpicking-guitar-country-style-the-roots-of-bluegrass-guitar

http://www.guitarvideos.com/styles-1/country-and-bluegrass/downhome-flatpicking-guitar

and from Homespun, a not simple at all [mellow] Tony Rice being simple, just to round out the experience:

https://www.homespun.com/shop/product/an-intimate-lesson-with-tony-rice/

BluesKing777.

I like that kind of picking. I rarely use a pick, but I tend to do fingerpicking mixed with the type of runs shown in the videos. Most of it is pretty fundamental and not-very-fancy. Moderate tempo is likely my fastest. Instead of a pick I'm using my index finger for the bass strings when playing Carter style and then grabbing pick-up notes with my other fingers. Then of course, there's Tony Rice, who is one of those guitar players from outer space. Great ability and talent.........I enjoyed those videos.

I've got a few names for you: Norman Blake, Clarence White, Tony Rice, Randy Scruggs, and Sean Watkins.

This is the general style I've been working on for the last six months, ever since skin problems on my right hand forced me to stop fingerpicking. I can still (barely) hold a flatpick, but it goes flying from time to time.

It's challenging.

I've got a few names for you: Norman Blake, Clarence White, Tony Rice, Randy Scruggs, and Sean Watkins.

This is the general style I've been working on for the last six months, ever since skin problems on my right hand forced me to stop fingerpicking. I can still (barely) hold a flatpick, but it goes flying from time to time.

It's challenging.

Sorry to hear that Nick. I know you have mentioned skin problems from work related chemicals causing playing problems, but not being able to hold a pick or fingerpick. Awful, mate.

What actually stops you holding the pick - skin cracking like bad eczema? Or pain?

BluesKing777.

What actually stops you holding the pick - skin cracking like bad eczema? Or pain?

BluesKing777.

A bit of both, unfortunately. I'm going to try some of the products that are supposed to help you hold a pick (Pick Honey by Gorilla Snot?).

I really can't fingerpick at this point. Putting the picks on is too painful, and picking bare (which is what I was doing most of the time) flays the skin off my fingertips in fairly short order.

Not very pleasant right now, but I still get in a half hour of playing a day.

Left hand is fairly unaffected, which is a good thing.

As a holiday treat, before Christmas I bought some pure flatpicking lessons and played through the lessons fingerpicking only. (Mainly Thumb and Index Finger on the right hand - like a pick but can break out to all fingers if I want to.)

BluesKing777.

You are in good company as Rev. Gary Davis played using his thumb and index finger.

I have never been able to get the hang of a flatpick. It grows tiring having to fish them out of the guitar. Someday, however, I would love to get the hang of hybrid picking. Maybe after I retire.

A bit of both, unfortunately. I'm going to try some of the products that are supposed to help you hold a pick (Pick Honey by Gorilla Snot?).

I really can't fingerpick at this point. Putting the picks on is too painful, and picking bare (which is what I was doing most of the time) flays the skin off my fingertips in fairly short order.

Picks are generally quite thin. If you take a bandaid or similar and wrap it around the holding bit of the pick it makes it easier. In fact you can try two or more and get it quite thick . It works well with a bit of trial and error getting it comfy.

Picks are generally quite thin. If you take a bandaid or similar and wrap it around the holding bit of the pick it makes it easier. In fact you can try two or more and get it quite thick . It works well with a bit of trial and error getting it comfy.

Thanks for that tip. I'll give it a try. I actually use pretty thick (1mm or thicker)picks, but I can't grip them firmly enough to stop them from, moving around a bit. This has only been a problem in the last year or so.

I am sure you have been to the quackeries to make it worse, I mean better.....

How would wearing a bamboo eczema glove on your right hand affect you? You might start a trend with friends, and it might help the problem and make it easier to hold a pick? I have no idea about any of this but I saw these:

https://www.theallergyshop.com.au/eczema-bamboo-gloves-3-pairs-free-delivery/

BluesKing777.

How would wearing a bamboo eczema glove on your right hand affect you? You might start a trend with friends, and it might help the problem and make it easier to hold a pick? I have no idea about any of this but I saw these:

https://www.theallergyshop.com.au/eczema-bamboo-gloves-3-pairs-free-delivery/

BluesKing777.

Kinky gloves.

It is a frustrating situation, for sure. It's much better now than it has been at times. A month ago, I didn't touch a guitar for three or four days at a time--it was just too painful. Now I can play, but I'm pretty much limiting it to a half hour a day: just enough to try to stay limber and keep fretting hand calluses intact.

The challenge of flat-picking is actually pretty enjoyable. I was never much of a student of it before, since it puts a premium on repetitive patterns that require a lot of practice for muscle memory: cross-picking scales, etc. I've been too lazy for that type of discipline.

Archived