Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 2008 Flame burst

Dreggz82

One of my first Gibsons ever, bought used from an old christian dude that played gospel in the local church band It had a few minor chips and scratches here and there but hardly felt used, the neck felt brand new with very little fret ware and plays like a dream to this day!IMG_20160117_055346_561_zpsywhdlxah.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clipDSCF1270_zpsyavbgjlq.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Nice! My first Gibson was a wine red LP Studio, which I still own and play. They're excellent guitars and yours is a beauty.

Thanks brotha. And the wine reds are sic looking axes! I really don't know too much about the features on it so if anyone can help me out I'd be ever so greatful! Thanx

Nice guitar! [thumbup] Decent looks, good playability, and Les Paul tone - there's nothing missing! [love][biggrin]

I think that, too. Using the term flame could be misleading.

Ya I wasn't sure on the color as well so when I was looking for the info all that would pop up is "2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Flame burst" so that's what I went by. Lol sorry for misleading anyone. Firburst is what it is! /,,/ thanx

I could be wrong, but I didn't think they used Granadillo for the fingerboards until after the problems they had with the raid for illegal woods around 2011?

Usually Les Paul Studios have rosewood boards. Mine is a 1997 with a rosewood board, but they did make some in the mid - late 90's with ebony ones. Gibson sometimes vary specs every so often for various reasons.

Like yours mine has a 50's rounded profile and the 490R 498T pickups. It has the usual mahogany back with a maple top, however, on a Studio the body depth is slightly thinner than on a regular LP Standard (or other models like the Traditional, Classic etc.) They have weight relief and are noticeably lighter than other higher end Les Paul models, even though almost all USA models have weight relief too.

I'm with Cody on this. The 2008 Studio LPs came with rosewood fretboard.

There would be nothing wrong with granadillo though. Many different hard-wearing heartwoods withstanding biodegradation are apt to make good fretboards, but all of them in limited quantities.

To my knowledge the body depth of Studio LPs has been subject to modification over the years, too.

May have been valid for some GC exclusives. Note that they also say on the same page that 490R and 498T were AlNiCo 2 loaded. While this is true for the 490R, the 498T comes with an AlNiCo 5 magnet.

There are lots of Gibsons being GC exclusives in the USA, and they usually never make it to the official Gibson website. Sometimes they seem to experiment with fretboard timbers uncommon on Gibsons. Anyway, sometimes a few brand-new GC exclusives find their way to Europe. I know of nine Les Paul Standard Quilt K that were sold by GAK in UK. The Quilt K run comprised five finishes, allegedly 30 to 50 guitars each, and came with Coração de Negro fingerboard. Here is mine, the probably only one featuring Regal Purple stain in Europe - Speed Knobs and TP-6 tailpiece are options:

IMG_0632_zpsn5b9v4gj.jpg

May have been valid for some GC exclusives. Note that they also say on the same page that 490R and 498T were AlNiCo 2 loaded. While this is true for the 490R, the 498T comes with an AlNiCo 5 magnet.

There are lots of Gibsons being GC exclusives in the USA, and they usually never make it to the official Gibson website. Sometimes they seem to experiment with fretboard timbers uncommon on Gibsons. Anyway, sometimes a few brand-new GC exclusives find their way to Europe. I know of nine Les Paul Standard Quilt K that were sold by GAK in UK. The Quilt K run comprised five finishes, allegedly 30 to 50 guitars each, and came with Coração de Negro fingerboard. Here is mine, the probably only one featuring Regal Purple stain in Europe - Speed Knobs and TP-6 tailpiece are options:

IMG_0632_zpsn5b9v4gj.jpg

Ahhhh totally true! Why I did not remember that,I'll never know. Because just recently the released a few exclusive models I couldn't get here in Canada with diff specs and all. Thanks form the info u have been much help!! /,,/

Ahhhh totally true! Why I did not remember that,I'll never know. Because just recently the released a few exclusive models I couldn't get here in Canada with diff specs and all. Thanks form the info u have been much help!! /,,/

And that's a sic guitar BTW!!! /,,/

Oh no, not again!

That thing makes me...mhhhh....

Well let's put it this way, when I look at it my girlfriend get's jealous!

It can also be seen from a different point of view. Gibson put fretboard and top materials to the test in limited quantities, and besides some GC customers a few more people like me wittingly spent lots of money to become voluntary probands for these timbers. [rolleyes]

Some woods seem to stand the test like granadillo, some not... whyever... [confused]

Having said all that, I'm just some sort of a long-term guinea pig with a misguided taste. :unsure: Better beware of guitars like this, or the same may happen to you! [scared]

;)

Archived