Gibson Brands Forums

caring for LP

Roach

I oil the boards rarely, if they appear to be drying out or dirty. Don't some look dry and seem to scream for oil?

I think they should all be done once? The science of fret board oil.

My intended question was regarding some opinions that certain oils may damage the MOP inlays and even the frets themselves, so what specific products are safe with that in mind?

i have heard yes/no for teak oil, lemon oil, linseed oil, and mostly i hear "no" for any of the products designed for that purpose like gibsons product and something called fret ease... (no, as in do NOT use)

My intended question was regarding some opinions that certain oils may damage the MOP inlays and even the frets themselves, so what specific products are safe with that in mind?

Truth be told Fret Dr or Gerlitz Guitar Honey. and I use the later of late because the prior shades the board darker, dryness always culminates in lightness? .

the only part of you that touches the fingerboard are your fingers (or forearms for some people) so just oil up your fingers before playing. ;)

This way. the frets getting the most use, also get the most oil.

thats interesting since i was led to believe you oil the fretboard, not the frets or strings

i wonder if youtube has instructional videos for that forearm technique

I sleep with my guitar, (in the case on my bed), i think that will make me a better player?

thats interesting since i was led to believe you oil the fretboard, not the frets or strings

i wonder if youtube has instructional videos for that forearm technique

I sleep with my guitar, (in the case on my bed), i think that will make me a better player?

Take the strings off when you practice. You only need strings at gigs.

yes, you're basically re-hydrating the wood. so do this during a string change. if you don't want to remove all the strings, so that your bridge and tail piece move, leave the 2 E's on, slip them out of the nut and a little tight, just let them rest along the edge of the neck, then just treat the fret board with a good fretboard conditioner, (and now is a good time to polish frets if they need it. easy to do, but it's a process, do some googles, you'll get the idea.)

Archived