Gibson Brands Forums

2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE

BirdMan81

Regarding the pickguard-------it is one of those Gibson mysteries on why the Hummingbird TV for 4-grand has a painted-on pickguard design, while the standard bird has the literally eternally and forever-after design. My standard bird's guard will last me a dozen lifetimes...I had a J150 with the painted-on design. I was shocked and kind of pissed when I first realized the pickguard design was simply paint that would easily come off. I'm probably 99% fingerpicking. Rarely use a pick, and even then I play gently---definitely not a bluegrass picker. After maybe two weeks, the paint was wearing-off right where I rested my little finger on the pickguard. I liked the guitar too much to return it, but I didn't want a pickguard that in my view would look like crap. The appearance of the guitar was/is important to me. Besides, it was part of the price I paid. Anyway, I went to a Hobby Lobby and bought some dull coat clear finish from the "artist" section. It was like $2. Could have got a high gloss, but thought it might be too shiny and bright. I carefully put it on with a brush and that solved the problem for me. I re-applied the dull coat every 4-5 months whether it needed it or not for a couple years. After that I did it maybe once per year. Keep in mind, I'm a fingerpicker and even when I strum, it's typically with my fingers. Never any rough contact with the pickguard. For what it's worth, here's of video of the guitar when it was about six years old. Depending on your style of playing, you can protect the pickguard. BTW, if the Bird TV came with the same pickguard as my standard bird, I'd consider one.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birdman, I don't know anything about the 3M film. Haven't heard anything about how well it works. I have heard of people using it. However, being a 3M product, it might work very well. Really don't know, my friend. What I do know is that for my style of playing, which is pretty much what you see in the video, the dull coat does a great job. The tech I've used in the past for setups, etc. thought it was a pretty good idea and said the gloss finish might provide an even better protection. Again, I have my doubts on how well it would work for a flatpicker, but for my style it was great. Wish I'd known at the very start and I'd have covered the pickguard before anything wore-off. To be honest, if I find a Bird TV at a reasonable price, I'd likely take a chance and get it. I can always protect the pickguard. Worst case scenario, I'd replace the guard....I completely understand your feelings about the pickguard. It looks awesome to me and I want it to continue looking good. For me, it just looks kind of lousy when a brand new guitar has a pickguard that looks like it's all scratched-up. I find part of the Hummingbird's appeal is that it's a beast that is also beautiful. Just my view. Doesn't make me right and someone else wrong.

Get the vintage model and just be careful where you place your hand.In my experience( I own both a J 200 TV and a Hummingbird TV) the designs last longer when they are allowed to age (maybe the paint becomes dryer or more solid).

I am a fan of vintage spec'd guitars and the standard models would have never done it for me .

you'll be kicking yourself if you get the standard and end up still lusting after the vintage model.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET THE VINTAGE !!!

JC

Why not get the vintage and have the fragile pickguard replaced with the one on the standard (given it's the same size)? You would have the best of both worlds. A good tech could remove the original guard without damaging it. You can then store it safely for the future. The cost of the replacement guard could even be part of your price haggling stategy with GC.

Another option would be to mask off everything but the original guard, and have a tech spray nitro lacquer on top of the guard. In the old days, guitars bodies were sprayed after the guards were applied to bare wood.

Lars

Why not get the vintage and have the fragile pickguard replaced with the one on the standard (given it's the same size)? You would have the best of both worlds. A good tech could remove the original guard without damaging it. You can then store it safely for the future. The cost of the replacement guard could even be part of your price haggling stategy with GC.

Another option would be to mask off everything but the original guard, and have a tech spray nitro lacquer on top of the guard. In the old days, guitars bodies were sprayed after the guards were applied to bare wood.

Lars

My understanding is that the flubbed non wear pickguards are thicker and dreaded the vibration of the guitar top hence killing some of the guitars tone....not sure if this is true or not.

To me, all the talk about the so-called flubber guard being a tone killer is silly. My Hummingbird is ten years old, been played countless hours, sounds awesome and still looks almost mint, and the pickguard is "mint.".........How a guitar sounds all depends on who you ask. My Hummingbird is louder and has a warmer tone than my J45TV. The flubber guard is great. And so is my J45.

You shouldn't let a potential fade of the engraved/painted guard keep you from buying your dream guitar. It doesn't seem to balance.

But MissouriP's suggestion to give the grooves - meaning the wildlife motif - lacquer and them only, sounds rather good. Just remember to find the correct gloss/matt mix.

Though it won't be a easy, a hyper thin brush in a steady hand will do the job. I know because some of the whites on mine get a little homemade yellow to warm things up.

Step 1 is to get the right TV if a TV is what rings your bell. Then see how your style influences the paint within the next 5-6 months.

I'm almost sure you won't go from engraved the embedded. Without disqualifying the embedded, the first is nicer. Simply appears more significant and soulful.

Well, you can't discuss taste - some might see the opposite.

I am now the proud owner of a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage!

Terrific - congratulations again. Your mind will probably change from this point.

If you connect to the guitar, something essential will have fallen into place.

Hope to see and hear it soon.

Just got home! Im gonna let the guitar sit in the case while I type this so it has a chance to acclimatize, and then try and upload some pictures and a few sound clips. Long story shot, Guitar Center was AWESOME! I know I've read a few threads with people having bad experiences at GC, but I had the opposite. They (Guitar Center on Mass Ave in BOSTON) located a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage from Hollywood CA, did a store transfer (no strings attached) AND matched the lowest price quote I could find. From start to finish, I was VERY impressed. Im in love with the guitar.....right down to the "cellular level" :) The first time I drove down to GC (just to see what they had in stock) I played almost every high end guitar they had....Taylors....J45s....Martin HD-28Vs..Hummingbird Pro's etc etc...of them all, I was in love with the HD-28V. So much that I had almost convinced myself that I was gonna go with a "punchy crisp" Martin. Fast forward to today and as soon as I opened the case of the Hummingbird: The beautiful appearance hit me first. Even though I had spent hours watching youtube video reviews, sounds clips, and viewing google images, nothing had prepared me for how much of a work of art this guitar is! Even though the finish is not a complete high gloss (more of a matt/gloss) it's still breathtaking! The color and the subtle burst and the natural wood grain seems different (maybe due to the aging process)....the binding is aged white in color and the tuners are meant to look worn as well as the tuner tulip pegs....... The smell hit me next (almost a vanilla/mahogany)...so sweet, and then when I picked the guitar up, I felt how light it was! Im assuming this is because of the torrification of the spruce top that dries the wood hence shedding water weight. Last to hit me was the tone...so full, warm and clear, almost 3D in nature. Full rich lows and clear articulate highs! After taking my time and letting the guitars overall prescence take me over...I returned to the Martin HD-28v just out of curiosity.... after mating with the Hummingbird, the Martin almost sounded harsh and too "punchy"! The action of the Hummingbird straight from the factory is actually quite nice and easy to play with no fret buzz. However, I will give the guitar a month or so to let it really settle in here in the North East and then re-evaluate the need for a complete set up! "Awe....look at me, I'm rambling' again. Folks enjoy yourselves later on down the trail........ Say friend, you got anymore of that good Sasperella?"

Just got home! Im gonna let the guitar sit in the case while I type this so it has a chance to acclimatize, and then try and upload some pictures and a few sound clips. Long story shot, Guitar Center was AWESOME! I know I've read a few threads with people having bad experiences at GC, but I had the opposite. They (Guitar Center on Mass Ave in BOSTON) located a 2016 Hummingbird Vintage from Hollywood CA, did a store transfer (no strings attached) AND matched the lowest price quote I could find. From start to finish, I was VERY impressed. Im in love with the guitar.....right down to the "cellular level" :) The first time I drove down to GC (just to see what they had in stock) I played almost every high end guitar they had....Taylors....J45s....Martin HD-28Vs..Hummingbird Pro's etc etc...of them all, I was in love with the HD-28V. So much that I had almost convinced myself that I was gonna go with a "punchy crisp" Martin. Fast forward to today and as soon as I opened the case of the Hummingbird: The beautiful appearance hit me first. Even though I had spent hours watching youtube video reviews, sounds clips, and viewing google images, nothing had prepared me for how much work of art this guitar is! The smell hit me next (almost a vanilla/mahogany)...so sweet, and then when I picked the guitar up, I felt how light it was! Im assuming this is because of the torrification of the spruce top that dries the wood hence shedding water weight. Last to hit me was the tone...so full, warm and clear, almost 3D in nature. Full rich lows and clear articulate highs! After taking my time and letting the guitars overall prescence take me over...I returned to the Martin HD-28v just out of curiosity.... after mating with the Hummingbird, the Martin almost sounded harsh and too "punchy"! The action of the Hummingbird straight from the factory is actually quite nice and easy to play with no fret buzz. However, I will give the guitar a month or so to let it really settle in here in the North East and then re-evaluate the need for a complete set up! "Awe....look at me, I'm rambling' again. Folks enjoy yourselves later on down the trail. Say friend, you got anymore of that good Sasperella?"

Good lord .... I'm screwed.... lol... Another $4000 out of my pocket

Archived