Gibson Brands Forums

2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE

BirdMan81

And for further detail regarding this...EVERY fret on the high E side has this issue....but NONE on the low E side.

Ok. Don't know if you saw the edit to Post # 64. Was this guitar "in back", or in the high end room when you went for the demos? Some of those (smallish) rooms have big, nasty humidifiers with humidity levels in the 60's... way too humid. Allow the guitar to stabilize to an h level in low->mid 40's before taking further action.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, hey, congratulations on your purchase! [thumbup]

As to the weight of your guitar, its not due to the torrefication but different material thickness and bracing on the TV/Vintage models as opposed to standard models. Thats what sold me on my TV Bird!

And to the quality issues, don't ever look under the hood of this puppy. ](*,) ](*,)

but after all, its a Gibson.

The guitar was (supposedly ) new in the box and never put out on the floor in Hollywood CA...not sure if this is true or not...it spent a week being shipped to Boston MA and arrived yesterday morning at the guitar center...they (Supposedly) inboxed it and set it in their only acoustic room. I was there 2 hours later

here is the small gap:

image_27.jpeg

Here is the low E side that appears much tighter:

image_28.jpeg

the alignment and nut slots are cut by a PLEK machine. So it's really odd to see the misalignement in the video .

it may need a Neck adjustment (truss rod) .My Emmmylou Harris L 200 was Derailed while on a train from California to Texas and it suffered no damage but did need a Neck adjustment done through the trussrod.

800-426-2636 is Gibson Montana phone number .You can ask to speak to Don Ruffatto or someone else at Customer Service

JC

here is a quick video of me messing around...nothing too special. Sorry for the audio quality i was using my cell phone.

not sure why the embedded links are not working?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DPUNPtZ_Ry0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

here is what i have been playing on for the past 10 years: Same strings for that long too!

image_22.jpeg

image_24.jpeg

image_25.jpeg

image_26.jpeg

quite the difference between the two: (The Applause actually sounds OK...just hard to play (thin neck profile for my large hands) and real heavy....plus the round back makes it hard to hold.

image_29.jpeg

Here is the inspection sheet from Gibson:

anyone know this "DF" guy?

image_30.jpeg

(Re: mucho images- Got a whole lotta bandwidth?)

Still fairly sure the preference here would be for that beautiful bird. It'll get smoothed out.

Looks nice.

Got the correct html from looking at JCV's P. Townshend video offering. Hit "reply" under post #86 to view your code:

Thanks man! So we have to modify the embedded codes YouTube generates in order to post them here? Also....I was even a little hesitant to post the video because my cell phone mic isn't the best and YouTube compresses the quality (plus my playing is not perfect...but who's really is? :)

Thanks man! So we have to modify the embedded codes YouTube generates in order to post them here? Also....I was even a little hesitant to post the video because my cell phone mic isn't the best and YouTube compresses the quality (plus my playing is not perfect...but who's really is? :)

Well . . . as J45Nick had pointed out some time ago, if you lift the url off of the address bar, you'll want to remove the "s" from https. Removed brac [ ] stuff, and also, you had "youtu.be" in your link in reply #80.

Sounds great. 'Think it was actually starting to open up over those 15 minutes, but you two need to get acquainted a little better with the install of some fresh strings, and a little bit of the Pete Townshend treatment ; ).

Yeah those where the strings that came on the guitar so I'm sure they've been on for quite sometime....i'm so used to keeping my hands so scrunched up to fit on the tiny neck of that applause. I'm finding that my finger placement is going to take some getting used to you on this new guitar

On top of that I've really only played a tiny bit each week for the past 7 to 10 years. I've played for hours plus since bringing the guitar home the other day. My calluses are starting to come Back...it's going to take some time to get my chops back

Simply the most gorgeous coloring I have seen on any Bird... And perhaps any Gibson.

By the way... I did swap out the pickguard in my 2016 J45 Standard... Switched the flubber for a Greven. Absolutely no difference in sound for the better or worse. My flubberguard looked just fine, although some may argue this looks better. I doubt it's an upgrade that anyone would pay for when I sell it eventually.

Sounds/looks so good and suits your style like hand in glove (like the old steel too, but try a new set Masterbuilts 12's and wait 12 days).

Already traces of a symbioses in the video. Don't think you'll regret this acquaintance.

Of course hep for the Angie-intro - it really shows the bass potential.

Stay hovering ~ Keep us updated

, , , and don't let the stative/dog/toys-setting bring you in trouble.

not sure why the embedded links are not working?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DPUNPtZ_Ry0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You have to manually remove the "s" in https in order for the embedded links to work. Remove it in the pop-up box that appears when you are specifying the link. (I believe Sal first posted this tip.)

Hey, thanks for posting the pics of the case as I requested. Never understood the fuss, but I must confess it's growing on me.

Definitely get the fret end fixed, but don't sweat over it. As it ages, this guitar will sound even better than it does now and the fret problem will be ancient history. All of our guitars had something wrong with them when we got them.

Thanks for the positive vibes guys! That is just dust collecting on the bridge that's making look like it gonna pull off.

Here is a question for you all.....how should I go about getting the fret/fretboard binding issue resolved? Should I call Gibson and get it covered under warranty work (closest guy is 2 hours from me) or just suck it up and bring it to a local place I trust and pay out to of pocket?

Thanks for the positive vibes guys! That is just dust collecting on the bridge that's making look like it gonna pull off.

Here is a question for you all.....how should I go about getting the fret/fretboard binding issue resolved? Should I call Gibson and get it covered under warranty work (closest guy is 2 hours from me) or just suck it up and bring it to a local place I trust and pay out to of pocket?

Read the other thread about getting a guitar worked on! Haha!

I will give you the short version: Don'tlet the GC guys touch it. Have it evaluated by a reputable luthier. If it needs work, call Bozeman directly and talk to them about it. Avoid GC techs. Avoid calling Gibson in Nashville.

Congratulations on your new guitar!

Keith

Archived