2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE

BirdMan81

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. . . mouth-watering description . . .

and -

Good lord .... I'm screwed.... lol... Another $4000 out of my pocket

Me: "Must resist . . . guitar . . . kryptonite".

Torrified 'Bird and that case ?

Well done. Congrats. Hoping the upload of an initial test to YouTube, Photobucket (yes, video), etc. goes smoothly.

1457134277[/url]' post='1748021']

Good lord .... I'm screwed.... lol... Another $4000 out of my pocket

Lol! I know what you mean! I felt this way after Jesse bought his a few months back. Then he went away and I let it go but this brings it all back and then some! Nice score on one sweet guitar!

BirdMan:

Congratulations on your beautiful guitar.

May I make a suggestion? If you haven't picked up on it yet, there's a few guys here who are quite enamored of your new Cali girl case too. Haven't a clue....But, if you post a couple of pictures of the case as well, they will appreciate it.

Congrats again and thanks for taking us along on this saga.

question/observations about the bound fingerboard and frets...after spending last night getting use to and playing my new Brid I have noticed two things...

1:) Little bit a fret buzz from the A string at the 4,5,6th frets only and on the D string around the 2nd fret ....as far as i can tell this is my only issue when it comes to buzzing...im not too worried about it though because the guitar is still getting used to being in the NorthEast and in the climate of my house. Im sure a complete set up will fix this.

2:) Ive also noticed where the frets join up with the bound portion of the fingerboard (on the High E side) there seems to be a micro gap (large enough for my high e string to get caught in if i bend it down at all) this is more concerning to me then the fret buzz I'm getting on the A string.

when i bring it in to my local shop....what will they do to fix this? I could see them filing down that small binding portion that meets up with the frets so its more even, or maybe filing/pounding the frets down? But neither of these would address the micro gap the string is getting caught in...would they fill this area with something?

You just got Gibsoned.

Thanks for uploading that. I was in the process of getting you a typical bound board image, such as this:

IMG_1601_zpslyi06mbe.jpg

Looks like the transition on your bass side is smoother. As far as getting the string caught in there on a bend- who bends a string in that direction? Usually a bend is "up". Did the string catch on you when you demo'ed it in Boston? If you like the guitar, I'm sure this could be addressed; maybe some superglue mixed with pulverized (sanded) binding material, combined with the beveling of any offending fret ends would be an easy enough fix, if this was a recurring problem.

In the meantime- 'hope you can enjoy your NGD weekend.

BirdMan:

... if you post a couple of pictures of the case as well, they will appreciate it.

Nice pics, too. The case's appeal is mostly aesthetic; aided in part by it's throwback looks to a golden era for Gibson, and it's limited circulation (TV's only). BBG suggested a look on eBay to see what they fetch, but good luck... maybe one per year shows up there. And they are known to mysteriously get separated from their guitars when traded in.

Edit: You know, an under-humidified guitar will have the fret ends sticking out like speed bumps. Wonder if it works the opposite way for a over humidified guitar that may've been sitting in GC's high-end room?

would they fill this area with something?

The gab isn't good - especially if the high E risks being caught.

It could be fixed by dissolving a bit of binding-material in acetone and simply smear it down like a bricklayer uses mortar between his stones - and then fine-sand.

If you got 'hands' it might be a home-job.

Sure I'll take some pics of the case...what makes the case so special?

Congrats on your purchase. I have the twin of yours. Your first description is way better than I could ever have done. All I know is that every time I open the case on mine, I get a huge smile on my face, even before I take it out of the case. You can see mine in my avatar. I've had mine since last fall and am still playing it with the original out-of-the-box setup; I know I can have the action lowered a bit, but it sounds so good, I'm kinda afraid to mess with it.

To answer your question about the case, they only come with TV models that Gibson makes. AFAIK, you can't even buy them separately, you have to buy the guitar to get the case. So, that makes them very rare. As you know, they're very cool looking but heavy as hell, I sure wouldn't want to be hauling them around if I was gigging regularly. I've seen them being sold for $300+ on eBay.

You made a great choice, and don't worry about the pickguard.....

...what makes the case so special?

These cases, Birdman, are beyond the conventional boundaries of this world - sense it !

The colour-combo - the materials - the box with the lid and the small removable wall, the smell - the weight, , , it's all so at the same time heavy'n'kinky that it transcends the dimension in which we normally breathe, act and think.

Still sleep in mine - and it's only about 50 centimetres from here as I speak. (yes, the latches might be sloppy)

elaborate please....

Many people think it's a Gibson "thing", sloppy workmanship somewhere, even on a $4000 guitar. Of course, the most notorious example is the "incorrectly" placed pickguards on a lot of models. Honestly, of all the Gibsons I've had/have, I've never really seen anything build-wise that would concern me.

These cases, Birdman, are beyond the conventional boundaries of this world - sense it !

The colour-combo - the materials - the box with the lid and the small removable wall, the smell - the weight, , , it's all so at the same time heavy'n'kinky that it transcends the dimension in which we normally breathe, act and think.

Still sleep in mine - and it's only about 50 centimetres from here as I speak. (yes, the latches might be sloppy)

Em7, you must have been a poet in your other life, I have never seen something as mundane as a guitar case so eloquently described....kudos to you.... [thumbup]

Yeah...little bit of a buzz kill (no pun intended). I'm still happy with the purchase...just kind of a bummer. In response to who ever said I shouldn't be bending the E string down. I realize that. I'm no pro, but I'm a semi confident guitar player. The string catches even with the slightest movement...strumming any hammer ons or pull offs during a D or Dsus causes this...kind of an issue :)

I have to admit I should have really noticed this at Guitar Center before I left but what would be the point...I wouldn't really let them work on it Since I have a Local GC and a few other shops here in town...maybe just bargaining power but I got a great price anyway.

The point is a have a inspection checklist signed by a Gibson worker that all frets and finger board were in great shape before it left the factory... Either he missed this issue or it happened during the cross country shipping...either way it's my problem now to deal with unfortunately....still working on getting a demo vid for you guys.

Not great , an easy fix , but what the hell is going on at Gibson?

Just shoddy , shouldn't happen!

Funny I should be reading all this... I thought I was being negative about quality on these guitars a while back.. I do think these are big concerns as well. (from fit to Finish )when good money is being spent on whats to be a top quality Guitar..

Archived