Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! Cracks in finish or worse? PICS ADDED

Raul86

Hello, first time hear.

I just bought a new Epiphone SG Vintage g-400 and noticed a couple of cracks on either side of the neck. I've attached pictures.

I was just wondering if those cracks are superficial, and on the finish or if they appear to go deeper.

It's only a week old and the playability/sound don't seem to be affected, but I'm no expert and I definitely don't want to return it if I don't have to.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

post-77286-027290200 1456721800_thumb.jpg

post-77286-026567000 1456721875_thumb.jpg

Hello, first time hear.

I just bought a new Epiphone SG Vintage g-400 and noticed a couple of cracks on either side of the neck. I've attached pictures.

I was just wondering if those cracks are superficial, and on the finish or if they appear to go deeper.

It's only a week old and the playability/sound don't seem to be affected, but I'm no expert and I definitely don't want to return it if I don't have to.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

post-77286-027290200 1456721800_thumb.jpg

post-77286-026567000 1456721875_thumb.jpg

Can't tell how deep the cracks propagate from pics but they are disturbing, whatever movement or stress caused them was across the entire width of nut area. Almost like it took a hit somewhere, or somehow. If bought from a shop, I'd be bringing the guitar in to be checked thoroughly by a tech!

Can't tell how deep the cracks propagate from pics but they are disturbing, whatever movement or stress caused them was across the entire width of nut area. Almost like it took a hit somewhere, or somehow. If bought from a shop, I'd be bringing the guitar in to be checked thoroughly by a tech!

Thanks.

It's hard to tell how deep they go, they look fairly shallow, but I bought it from Guitar Center so who knows what it's been through.

Looks familiar:

Cracked Neck

Get thee to a competent luthier or take it back to where you bought it.

Just looked at your post. I noticed a ding on the headstock a day or so after I got it but didn't think too much of it. I recently tuned the guitar down a half step, and a couple days later noticed the cracks.

Just looked at your post. I noticed a ding on the headstock a day or so after I got it but didn't think too much of it. I recently tuned the guitar down a half step, and a couple days later noticed the cracks.

Yep, probably happened when you took some tension off of the neck with the down-tune. My ES-355 was shipped to me half-way around the world and showed up in pristine condition and played perfect. Then I changed the strings....

It wasn't practical for me to send it back to the dealer so $400 later and you can't even tell it was ever damaged; and is my favorite guitar. A keeper of course because of the loss of value from having the neck repaired. If making a return to the dealer is an option, that is your best bet.

Good luck

Yep, probably happened when you took some tension off of the neck with the down-tune. My ES-355 was shipped to me half-way around the world and showed up in pristine condition and played perfect. Then I changed the strings....

It wasn't practical for me to send it back to the dealer so $400 later and you can't even tell it was ever damaged; and is my favorite guitar. A keeper of course because of the loss of value from having the neck repaired. If making a return to the dealer is an option, that is your best bet.

Good luck

Thanks man, I'll need it.

I'm going to make a trip down to Guitar Center tomorrow and try to return/exchange it.

this is a train wreck waiting to go off the tracks.

I'd try to bring it back asap... Call immediately to inform them. you don't want them thinking that you did this and now are trying to back out of the purchase.

I wish you all the best with this, I'm sure you're disappointed.

So a quick update, for those who care.

I just got back from Guitar Center, and I was able to exchange it. They were quite cool about it to my surprise, actually.

They didn't hassle me and actually had another guitar in the back so I wouldn't have to wait for a new one to come in.

So, they bring the one from the back, take it out of the box and believe it or not it had the same exact sort of nick on the headstock.

It would appear that they were both dropped at some point during the shipping. So they've ordered me another one, and we'll see when that one comes.

But now I'm guitar-less for a while which is unfortunate.

So a quick update, for those who care.

I just got back from Guitar Center, and I was able to exchange it. They were quite cool about it to my surprise, actually.

They didn't hassle me and actually had another guitar in the back so I wouldn't have to wait for a new one to come in.

So, they bring the one from the back, take it out of the box and believe it or not it had the same exact sort of nick on the headstock.

It would appear that they were both dropped at some point during the shipping. So they've ordered me another one, and we'll see when that one comes.

But now I'm guitar-less for a while which is unfortunate.

Well, at least they're making an effort to resolve this to your satisfaction. It is a pita when an instrument purchase goes sideways. Keep us informed and here's hoping it will be back on track for you, Raul86. [thumbup]

Great news! You may be guitar-less for the near term but you've rid yourself of a huge headache at the same time.

Exactly. Being without a guitar for a while is much better than being hung out to dry.

Well, at least they're making an effort to resolve this to your satisfaction. It is a pita when an instrument purchase goes sideways. Keep us informed and here's hoping it will be back on track for you, Raul86. [thumbup]

Not only is it a pita, it’s falafel! [laugh]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I had a neck crack last year. Fortunately its been fine, and plays just as well as it ever did.

I did have the guitar in its case which was on the floor. So far, so good. Unfortunately, when I picked it up by the handle the guitar toppled out.

Cautionary tale #2. Always fasten down the case lid!

I had a neck crack last year. Fortunately its been fine, and plays just as well as it ever did.

I did have the guitar in its case which was on the floor. So far, so good. Unfortunately, when I picked it up by the handle the guitar toppled out.

Cautionary tale #2. Always fasten down the case lid!

And if you have it in a guitar stand, aim the front towards the wall when not in use. My cat almost took my guitar drown face first when he decided to use it to stretch... stupid cat... [scared]

Archived