Gibson Brands Forums

uncompensated or compensated saddle

jvi

About these compensated saddles, are they adjusted for each guitar ?

I mean, if it is standard say, for a hummingbird standard, why can't we find spare parts easily ? Are each compensated saddles that ship with a gibson unic in some ways ?

I mean, if it is standard say, for a hummingbird standard, why can't we find spare parts easily ? Are each compensated saddles that ship with a gibson unic in some ways ?

Probably all share a common compensation, usually on the B string to lengthen the scale slightly. The saddle on my 000-28 EC came fully compensated, to my surprise. None of my Gibson flat tops are compensated, but they are all also the long, thin slot-through saddle, where compensation has pretty minimal impact.

Full compensation is more common on archtops, and, of course, on electrics with adjustable saddles.

You can buy retrofit saddles with B-string compensation off the shelf for a lot of models.

You raise a good question and I hope somebody has a definitive answer. I suspect that if the saddle isn't handmade, it's generic - which inspires more questions....

They are generic and can be purchased from Stew-Mac. They are very easy to find. They are not individually adjusted in any way. If I were going to replace one I would get one designed for the scale length of the guitar. In the case of the Hummingbird just get one designed for a short scale instrument.

Any saddle can be custom shaped for the individual guitar. I bought a bone saddle for my Songwriter from Bob Colosi in Georgia. It came compensated and highly polished. I then had a luthier intonate the guitar with the bone saddle. He shaped it perfectly and polished it to a great glossy shine. I could have done it myself, but with the saddle coming all the way from Georgia, I didn't want to screw it up and besides, my luthier shapes them so beautifully.

DSCF2184.jpg

Thanks for the inputs. I bought a Tusq saddle for Gibson that seems to be suited for hummingbird. Will try it out sanding the base just for a test (these saddles are kind of cheap).

But Drathbun post shows probably the best thing to do. I will try to find a good luthier to do it for me, though i am not sure i want to go with bone right now. I fear to loose the sweet tone for something too bright.

My guitar sounds fine, but my luthier had sanded the saddle a bit too much i think, cause when i removed it i saw some kind of slim shim attached below it. I dont know if it comes like this from factory or if it has been added by the luthier... If that's the case he should have told me about it huh. So i'd like to get a perfect saddle now and see if the guitar can get even better than it is !

wondering if notches for the strings are needed ,lot of pictures seem like they dont have them....Im installing a saddle in a beater for practice

Generally not. Between string tension and close proximity to the pins, there's not much opportunity for a string to move around in most cases.

...I then had a luthier intonate the guitar with the bone saddle....

Right. It's all about getting the intonation correct for each string. That is, you don't want an in-tune string to sound sharp when fretted.

He shaped it perfectly....

...and the shape of the saddle where the string runs over has to be a certain way. Yeah, I just have my local tech cut me a new saddle for the specific guitar. Doesn't cost that much, IIRC. The saddle is the point where the vibes of the strings get to the soundboard (well, through the bridge). You want a good connection there, and bone as a material is pretty universally seen to work well. [thumbup]

Archived