Gibson Brands Forums

1930's Gibson Century of progress

Lukec88

Never seen this fingerboard on a guitar. Anyone knows what materials are used for it?

Mother of toilet seat, as he says. (Really!)

From Wiki: Pearloid is used in any context where genuine mother of pearl or abalone might be used, as it is much cheaper and doesn't deplete the supply of the natural material. Gibson uses it as a substitute for the mother of pearl inlays in the fretboards on most of their guitars. Various colored versions are often used on items intended to have a retro appearance. Pearloid is sometimes referred to, colloquially as mother of toilet seat.

LOL.. I heared that he mention something about fretboard, but wasnt sure if I heard it right.. never heared term "mother of toilet seat" haha

Often abbreviated as MOTS. A rare unnatural material from a not-particularly-endangered species.....

MOTS isn't a bad fingerboard material. Especially when it matches the pickguard and your bathroom!

Good for all who pick while sitting on the toilet. Just don't confuse your Century of Progress with the real toilet seat.....

Wonderful instruments, originally built to commemorate Chicago's Century of Progress exhibition. My matched set of 1936 examples:

1-1936L-CenturyandA-Century_zps4b58aa60.jpg

An article I penned long ago for Frets Magazine:

L-Century%20Frets%20Article_zpsmszq6umo.jpg

Wonderful instruments, originally built to commemorate Chicago's Century of Progress exhibition. My matched set of 1936 examples:

1-1936L-CenturyandA-Century_zps4b58aa60.jpg

An article I penned long ago for Frets Magazine:

L-Century%20Frets%20Article_zpsmszq6umo.jpg

Nice Pair JT...

Great playing and guitars! Personally, I prefered the Nick Lucas "shoe polish" guitar.

Lars

Lars,

Interesting observation. I recently began a "downsizing" binge and very quickly (priced too low, I guess) sold all of the guitars in the video but for the Nick Lucas. We share the same taste in guitars!

Your post reminds me, I got too busy with my many projects/travels and never got around to recording some guitar on your great song. I need to do that before turning to any otehr recording projects!

Okay, Lukec88 time to make your choice. Which guitar is it for you?

A Harmony Buck Owens American like ZWs:

buck_with_harmony_no_logo.jpg

or Elvis' Gibson Century of Progress:

549553.jpg

Make a choice, Bucaroo. (Oops didn't mean to telegraph my choice!)

Between these two I would choose toilet one! 😛

Interesting observation. I recently began a "downsizing" binge and very quickly (priced too low, I guess) sold all of the guitars in the video but for the Nick Lucas. We share the same taste in guitars!

That is quite a downsizing, but you chose well for a keeper. I would be wanting that Nick Lucas if it was floating around.

That is quite a downsizing, but you chose well for a keeper. I would be wanting that Nick Lucas if it was floating around.

Terry,

In the past month, I've moved a bunch of interesting guitars, including those Gibson Ls, a Brazilian rosewood 000 Larson, and a Kim Walker. Grad school tuition for my kids calls and, frankly, I really wanted to prune the collection to a more manageable 6 or 8 guitars. I'll be keeping the Banners because I still do Kalamazoo Gals events (a big announcement coming up, I hope) and I'm emotionally attached to them, a National tricone, a Dyer harp gutiar, and a couple of Kim Walkers.

For now, I'm keeping the Nick. But, I may let it go. We'll see.

Oh, and how are you?

Archived