Gibson Brands Forums

To fret or not to fret...

daveinspain

Some of you may remember I posted some pics of one of my guitars, a Les Paul Classic that had serious major divots in the first 5 or 6 frets by the head stock.., I want to get it taken care of It. The problem goes too deep to level and recrown so the only other option would be a refret I guess, unless there is some way to fill the divots and crown a level. You know like fixing a dent on your car but I never heard of that being done... So, does having a guitar refretted devaluation a guitar? Seem many guitar buyers want guitars with the original frets. That being said a guitar having major fret problems would also cause its value to decrease... The other thing is if I refret I'll loose my nibs [scared]

Hello Dave!

No, I don't think refretting devaluates a guitar. Sooner or later, all guitars will need this to be done. Of course, saving the nibs, or going the easy way makes a difference as far as resell price is concerned.

Bence.

I agree with Bence.

Re-fretting won't affect the value of an otherwise attractive/collectible guitar.

Unless the guitar belonged to Keith Richards, George Harrison, or some other notable music star.

Then the new purchaser/collector would no doubt want the guitar to be just as it was played by the famous original owner.

:)

Hi Dave!

I remember the pics you posted.

And I tell you, if I keep banging on my #1 like I did the past two and a half years,

in 1 year maybe a bit more it will look exactly like yours.

I even start to see some wear on my Traditional wich I own less then a year.

The #1 is a 13 and the trad a 14 model, I don't know what material they took for the fretwire, but it sucks.

Well, to my question IF you decide to refret it, will it be here in Spain?

Who would do it?

We have a Gibson authorized Warranty/Service Center not to far away. Problem is I don't know those guys.

http://www.afjguitars.com/indexIN.html

On my #1 (an LPJ) yI even would try to do it myself, but when the time comes for my Trad I wish to keep my the nibs.

Would be cool if you share the info if you find someone that can be trusted.

I wish you luck.

The only reason original frets add value is because it's an indication of how many "miles" or wear the guitar has, and as said, the nibs.

Some folks like the nibs.

There ARE some who are good enough to refret and save the nibs, but it depends in the skill of the one doing it, AND how much nibs are left in the first place.

One thing to consider, is when doing a fret dress, it also takes away nib materiel. Also, fret materiel. So if it is a small number of frets that are bad, it might be an advantage to replace the bad frets, and thus, when the thing is then dress to level them all, you are taking down less materiel for the rest of the good frets.

Gonna also add, that more often than not, divots look worse than they actually are as far as height goes.

The ONLY way you are gonna know which way to go, is to get actual prices from actual people who are going to do the work. How much to replace 5 frets, how much to do it and keep the nibs, how much for a fret dress only, those decisions based on price.

You gonna play it or wait for it's value to appreciate? If you're gonna play it and the divots are a problem - fix it. If you are gonna play it and the divots are just an annoyance, play it and live with it.

BTW, are you sure they can't be crowned? One opinion or the opinion of many?

Finally, if you are thinking it's an investment that will appreciate in value, give away all your money now because it isn't.

You gonna play it or wait for it's value to appreciate? If you're gonna play it and the divots are a problem - fix it. If you are gonna play it and the divots are just an annoyance, play it and live with it.

Finally, if you are thinking it's an investment that will appreciate in value, give away all your money now because it isn't.

When I say stuff like that I get yelled at.

rct

That^^

Hi Dave!

I remember the pics you posted.

And I tell you, if I keep banging on my #1 like I did the past two and a half years,

in 1 year maybe a bit more it will look exactly like yours.

I even start to see some wear on my Traditional wich I own less then a year.

The #1 is a 13 and the trad a 14 model, I don't know what material they took for the fretwire, but it sucks.

Well, to my question IF you decide to refret it, will it be here in Spain?

Who would do it?

We have a Gibson authorized Warranty/Service Center not to far away. Problem is I don't know those guys.

http://www.afjguitars.com/indexIN.html

I do know these guys and I would trust them, I had them do the work on my Gold Top LP… They completely refinished it and did all the wiring, excellent work! Only problem is you have to be patient because he has tones of work and there is a long wait to get something done. There is another guy name David who works with him and has his own shop here in Valencia, he is very good too… PM me if you want his phone number.

I do know these guys and I would trust them, I had them do the work on my Gold Top LP… They completely refinished it and did all the wiring, excellent work! Only problem is you have to be patient because he has tones of work and there is a long wait to get something done. There is another guy name David who works with him and has his own shop here in Valencia, he is very good too… PM me if you want his phone number.

Hi Dave.

Looks like your inbox is full.

It says you can't receve any new messages.

I just copy the message here, and you can send it to me via PM.

Don't worry I have plenty of space, I not that popular.msp_tongue.gif

Like I said I'm in no hurry right now still playable, without buzz and stuff.

But it always comes handy to know someone trustworthy.

So, yeah I'd like to have his number.

And your GT, well let's put it this way...

I think Billy Gibbons would be jealous (and make you an offer on it)!

They have done a pretty darn good job there.

Greetz and have a nice day!

Hello!

As a side note: frets can be leveled many times. I have a guitar that has been leveled three time so far, still it's very nice and playable.

Even, this Fretless Wonder plays great after leveling, if not better than before it:

HPIM5472_zpscf595c90.jpg

Bence.

70€?

And I really don't need anithing else (Stew Mac Special $$$$ stuff)?

Well on the LPJ it will be probably smarter to do that, easy task no nibs there.

And learning how to do it myself is always good.

I may practice on the Epi Studio first, just in case.

Thank you Bence!

Brilliant idea, like always.

70€?

And I really don't need anithing else (Stew Mac Special $$$$ stuff)?

Well on the LPJ it will be probably smarter to do that, easy task no nibs there.

And learning how to do it myself is always good.

I may practice on the Epi Studio first, just in case.

Thank you Bence!

Brilliant idea, like always.

Hello Marcos!

Stew-Mac sells great stuff, but why order these from overseas when it's available locally? To pay import duties?

Leveling/dressing is not difficult at all. All You need is common sense and care. Protect Your instrument, and work carefully. Nibs are not in the way at all - they do not require any special attention during this process. The hardest part is the crowning, but when You get there, You will immediately understand how to use the file.

...and - of course - You can check out my thread in the "Repair" section. [rolleyes]

Bence.

Hi Dave.

Looks like your inbox is full.

It says you can't receve any new messages.

I just copy the message here, and you can send it to me via PM.

Don't worry I have plenty of space, I not that popular.msp_tongue.gif

Like I said I'm in no hurry right now still playable, without buzz and stuff.

But it always comes handy to know someone trustworthy.

So, yeah I'd like to have his number.

And your GT, well let's put it this way...

I think Billy Gibbons would be jealous (and make you an offer on it)!

They have done a pretty darn good job there.

Greetz and have a nice day!

Sent you a PM and clean out my in box… [biggrin]

Archived