Gibson Brands Forums

not relevent

Tanner1994

I have nothing against Mexican guitars. In fact I read a great article about an entire town in Mexico that's economy is totally dependent on hand made acoustic guitars. They range in price from next to nothing to thousands. The article was in an old edition of 'The Fretboard Journal'. I would love to go get one of those acoustics. I bet they're awesome.

I do; however, have an issue with Mexican made American guitars. Fender moved some of their operations there to shrink the cost of their labor. That's fine with me until they bring the guitars back to the U.S.A.. I wont buy a Mexican Fender for that reason. Before I knew crap about Gibson's I knew they were made in America. If they started making LP's in Mexico, China, VietNam or any other place I would find another brand.

The point is if your an American company and you make the majority of your money from Americans and you still move outside the border then you wont get my business.

If; however, your not an American Company I wouldn't expect you to build your product in the U.S.A.. Like Vox, I like their amps and even though for a short time they did build some of their products in the U.S.A. the primary of the company is British so the build standards are the concern of the British not me.

At least that's my screwy logic.

And if there is a demand for a lower priced Fender that cannot be produced in the US but can be made in Mexico, it looks to me like the producers and the buyers are winning.

And I imagine Mexico incurs social benefits from the presence of a progressive employer.

A bit more screwy logic.

RN

People need to eat wherever they are in the world...children get hungry. We expect everybody else in the world to buy our products...why shouldn't we buy theirs? If a product is well made' date=' has good value and suits my needs, I don't care who makes it.

That's my screwy logic.[/quote']

You as usual missed the point.

As I said I would love to have a Mexican guitar. Not an American one made in Mexico. Just as if I was from Germany I would support a German car brand. I know you hate all things made by Americans (except guitars). I get that. It's very common for you members of the Right to want to see all labor reduced to unlivable wages.

Just so we're clear. You hate labor. I don't. You think all problems will be solved by huge corporations and I think the problems will be solved by people with the rights guaranteed by the the Constitution and supported by the Federal Government.

Ok. Copy/Paste away.

my dad said there isnt much labor difference in the american and mexican strats. mexican strats are made in mexico by mexicans. american strats are made in california right above the border........ by mexicans.

If they are made in America by Mexicans then that is another issue. Illegals are another game and I in no way support Illegal immigrants taking legal American jobs. That was really not the issue we were talking about, but an interesting point.

I had a Mexi-Strat...other then the crappy electronics it was a nice guitar. I gutted it and put in Texas Specials.

Nice blues machine.

+1

Interesting point a friend made, he was stranded 80km or so from home because his American made snowmobile broke down due a poor quality bearing MADE IN CHINA. It seems nowadays you can't be sure what you're buying.

If they intend to replace the electronics anyway, and already have a guitar case, then getting the Mexican Fender is probably the best choice. I have the American Standard Strat and I thought it was worth getting it because it already had the good electronics, a good case, a 22 fret neck, and a few other features I thought were worth it. My son has the Mexican Strat and it is fine for what he likes to do. Someday he'll probably replace the pickups. We already got him a hard case.

besides the electronics the mexican stuff is actually pretty damn good. my strat is mexican made and lots of people love the neck, i personaly dont but if it was the same neck shape but made in the US i still wouldn't like it. it's just to small for my hands. hopefully will get a new one this summer once i have a job. new pickups too.

and maybe i'll make a whole new strat, this time with an ash body and all sorts of different stuff. completely left handed too (i just love how strats look upside down!).

True. Replace the pickups and perhaps the pots (depending on your preferences - I like 250K on Strats) and a Mexican Strat is a pretty happenin' machine. Of course, good pups cost you almost $200 a set so you are getting closer to USA price then.

Archived