Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2016 1932 L-00 Vintage Acoustic Guitar

BluesKing777

Nice ... but a bit too smooth for me. Ive played a few of the 30's L-00's now and they all had that dry, slight tired and grumpy open vintage tone, that you just cant get with a new model.

I reckon the price of a 30's L-00 will not be massively moore than the new L-00 Vintage, but I reckon going for the real deal makes a lot more sense than getting a modern replica, especially with these old blues boxes where you want a grumpy old tone.

Well, that price is almost double here, IF one ever comes to a shop near me! Hope that price is 40 % too high.

I have the extremes - Blues King L-00 and the 1937 L-0, and I imagine the one above could slot in the middle here with the new drip dry top. I will reserve judgement til it is played by me.

I thought I would post the link above because we hear lots about the new Hummingbird Vintage, not much about the J45 Vintage 2016 and absolutely totally nothing about the L-00 Vintage! Has anyone here bought them?

BluesKing777.

I've got one that I obtained in a trade with a dealer who had one forced upon him and felt he would be able to sell it. So I had some trade stuff he thought he could sell and it was a couple of guitars I did not play but just sat in a closet. I also have a Waterloo. The Waterloo is a bit drier sounding but the Gibson is a bit louder. The Gibson cuts like crazy in an old time string band context and of course sings like a bird when fingerpicked. The top is amazing torrified Adi and the finish on the guitar is first rate. I am not crazy about the tuning machines but they work well enough. There is a distinctive Gibson sound to the guitar and I find it quite enjoyable to play. The D string really rings out and if any thing I need to play the guitar more. It is light weight and punchy in sound. A very good axe all in all. The Waterloo sees more action and when playing in dance halls the Blues King with the LR Baggs gets the call, but for jamming and around home this guitar is a go to axe. I hope I live long enough to really break it in.

I have allergies that prevent me from playing older, moldier guitars as much as I love them, so this is an updated vintage thing I can enjoy. The plastic end pins were a let down, but the 1932 model may have had them. I had a nice set of bone pins that worked just fine there.

Then sir you are in luck.

Chicago Music Exchange just got at least five of them in. They can all be found on Reverb or their site prolly.

Yours for $2,999.00

I def want one but I have the CEO-7 and don't need one or have the funds. [unsure]

I wonder how they got them all..

PS. The CEO is 24.9 scale length while the 32' L-00 is 25". Prolly wont make much of a different feel? I had a '91 L-00 and it was way too long feeling...

Then sir you are in luck.

Chicago Music Exchange just got at least five of them in. They can all be found on Reverb or their site prolly.

Yours for $2,999.00

I def want one but I have the CEO-7 and don't need one or have the funds. [unsure]

I wonder how they got them all..

PS. The CEO is 24.9 scale length while the 32' L-00 is 25". Prolly wont make much of a different feel? I had a '91 L-00 and it was way too long feeling...

Those in CME are a different (older?) model:

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/collections/gibson/products/gibson-1932-l-00-reissue-vintage-sunburst-serial-11095001

The one in this thread is the 2016 model and has torrefied top and other treats like the 2016 J45 and Hummingbird, and is about $2500 more:

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/collections/gibson/products/gibson-montana-l-00-vintage-vintage-sunburst

AND.........

That one doesn't mention torrefied top either!

Gibson site:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/1932-L-00-Vintage.aspx

BluesKing777.

Just from looking at the specs-

Looks like the 2015 Model is called 1932 L-00 Vintage with a couple upgrades.

The 2015 Model is called 1932 L-00 Reissue Vintage and has the redline case.

A couple other differences the 2016 has Spruce top and slim profile neck.

The 2015 has Adirondack Red Spruce and 30's "V" neck

I have compared mine (Reissue) to a vintage L00 and it's very close and hopefully when it's broke in it will be closer to the woody dry sound. It has the same DNA. I think Gibson nailed it on this model.

I haven't played any of the aged tops yet. I'd also like to compare it to a Legend.

Very lightweight. Mine weighs 3.4 lbs.

Told ya .... I think one would be utterly mad to buy it for this money when you can get a 30's L-00 for much, much less !

Such as this .... https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-l-00-1933-sunburst

$3,500

Here is the detail of the CORRECT model - Dave's Guitar Shop, thanks!

Wonder why the L-00 Vintage is 1200 smackers more than the new (double the size same woods) Hummingbird Vintage?

http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-montana/1932-l-00-vintage-2016-model/

BluesKing777.

I doubt anyone but an Internet Newbie would pay the List Price!

That said, that L-00, the J45 Vintage and the Hummingbird Vintage with the 'trendy drip dry, toasted top ready to be old already' - right up my alley since taking the plunge on my OM18 AuthentIc with torrefied top and braces and hide glue and, and, and..... Versus the real vintage OM18 I posted above with all kinds of repaired splits and cracks for $16K. I went for the new OM18A and it sounds sensational and plays beautifully. My old rebirthed Gibson L-0 is great, don't get me wrong, but it is certainly 'Quirky'. So, if the L-00 Vintage above sounds 3/4 of the old ones, take it! As long as it is put together right, it would be plain sailing comparatively.

I would love to play the new L-00 next to my BK L-00, my 1937 L-0 and my Martin CEO7! I would also love to play the J45 Vintage next to my 5 or 6 year old J45 Standard. Or bust out in a totally new direction with the Bird Vintage! Not sure if it is a fingerpicker though - the L-00 Vintage and the J45 Vintage should be.

BluesKing777.

• 5 years later...

I feel compelled to reply to this even though it has been a dead thread for a couple years.  I just purchased a 2017 L-00 reissue for $2,200 and I'm blown away its sound.  I have never played a vintage one however I also own a L-00 standard from 2008 and I can't explain how much different the sound is.  The reissue is louder than my J-45, it barks like a beast and is almost comically aggressive.   Sometimes I bring it in my tiled bathroom to play and I feel like I'm having a religious experience.  Maybe I have a good one.  I do however want to mention that while the fit and finish is great, the internal bracing of the top seems to be a little roughly cut and the center seam of the back mahogany is not so centered.  When I compare this to my L-00 Standard, the standard is more cleanly built internally.  Perhaps this is intentional to make it more accurately represent the guitars of the 1930s.....  Who knows.  Regardless, for me the 2K for a reissue beats 6K for a good vintage one.