Gibson Brands Forums

For the purists

blindboygrunt

Now thats a real Dove in Flight.

btw: great work for the Irish to make the last 16 in the Euro's both the north and south editions. Czech's were rubbish, but Im really following Poland as thats where i was born.

Now you're gettin' serious, bbg. Absolutely cob into this fellow, , , and both voice and Dove sound good.

Listen to this simple recording that explains the difference between a Bird and a Dove. Where the B is snappy and tight, D is deeper projecting.

Like maple syrup being thicker than trumpet-flower honey, there seems to be more Dove.

I experience this almost daily and really can't prefer one for the other. Two magnificent acoustics from neo-classic Gibson, no doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skjj16bUS2s

That said, I still think the Bird would be chosen if necessary. It's more 'neutral' - which the Dove, no matter how fine, just ain't.

Joseph Arthur does many different things, but he's at his best, IMHO, when he's solo.

I've always been of the opinion that it's extremely hard to discern the true sound of an acoustic when any part of its signal is through a pickup. While I think I'm hearing the tone of his Dove, I'm more aware of hearing the pickup system, which sounds an awful lot like everyone else's pre-installed pickup system. Had there been no visual evidence, I could've guessed it was a 'Bird, a J-185, a J-45, a J-35...or even another brand.

Don't know that I'd want all that artwork on the guitar, but then again, to each his own. He sounds pretty good and that Dove definitely fills the room with sound. Those big square-shouldered dreads really resonate........He also has an electric with all kinds of artwork on it.

I've always been of the opinion that it's extremely hard to discern the true sound of an acoustic when any part of its signal is through a pickup. While I think I'm hearing the tone of his Dove, I'm more aware of hearing the pickup system, which sounds an awful lot like everyone else's pre-installed pickup system. Had there been no visual evidence, I could've guessed it was a 'Bird, a J-185, a J-45, a J-35...or even another brand.

Agree - still in the cans you hear the dovish depth of the guitar. .

Archived