Gibson Brands Forums

Bose L1

Motherofpearl

Quick question anyone use this system? I have just the bottom piece at home right now without stand. Looking at purchasing and selling my amp.

Question is anyone using this for coffee house gigs or small gigs? Say gym size? Are they sufficient?

This seems to have great tone and quite loud but just in my home.

Love to hear your thoughts

MOP

MP,

We gig with it. Smaller gigs (medium sized bar), my buddy and I both go through it (both play acoustic guitar and both sing). He has the bass module, and the tone match. It's nice because he has us "pre-set" for certain places, and the setup time is quick.

When we play this one bar, which is very large, he goes through his Bose, and I go through my Fishman SA220. I prefer the SA220, and I recommend you at least look at the new one coming out. I find I don't need the bass module. My guitar, preamp, or even a Mackie Mixer, can give the low end enough for what 90% will think sound great.

Anyways... Long story short, Bose L1 with bass module and ToneMatch sounds great, but costs over $2200 US. The Fishman costs 40% of that, and I think it sounds just as good.

29a3735a63df9911626ec3540f78e8d5_zpseqry1sjb.jpg

I agree with Sal: the Fishman SA220 is, to my thinking, the best sound system out there for a solo or duet acoustic act. Very compact, easy to transport, setup and operate, mains and monitors in one package. Plenty powerful for most any room. Just an excellent piece of gear. Eight or nine years back I was using a Bose "stick" system for an entire band. Four vocal mics, kick drum mic and two acoustic guitars into a small mixing board, fed to the Bose. It was a very good rig for that purpose but too much to haul around for an acoustic singer-type guy. Look at the Fishman!

I think the Bose systems are great. Sweet sound and the Bose quality is legendary. However, for far less money there are other superb systems out there. I looked at the Bose last year when I was hearing a great deal about it. For me, didn't have anything to do about the money. I just didn't see it fitting what I do at my gigs. I thought it was a lot of plastic and on the flimsy side and that wouldn't work well for hauling around on a cart for my outdoor gigs. In my view, my Roland and Yamaha are very rugged and high quality. I can stack them on a cart with other things on top of them and not worry about something getting broken. My view has nothing to do with the sound quality of Bose, which is excellent. Just looking at what is practical for me.

Thanks for the replies. I am being offered one that is barely used for $500 Canadian which is about 8-900 USD lol.

So you just have the base and no stand as well Sal?

It's lightweight is great I normally use a Marshall as100d which is great in its own right!

I know the system sounds great. Just wondering if the value is their. I'm not really looking at a new system as intriguing as that fish man sounds

We also have the stand... Here is a better picture of the Bose; it sticks up about seven feet from the bass... That "stick" is what has the even sound dispersion technology these units are famous for.

255e427216aeb1fdd62731a21f472ccd_zpsgwxzt6rz.jpg

My Fishman, in contrast, does not have the bass module, but is just fine for what I (we) do. Here is mine:

124f9845ae7eae98db4b2103f43032a1_zpsvq8gedm6.jpg

We use an L1 model 2. We have the bass box and the mixer. We use it for our duo (wife and I) and sometimes a trio. Never for the 4+ bluegrass band. Very good for small/medium places that are often problematic.

Best,

-Tom

=

If you used the marshall as100d you might want to also consider the AER compact 60. I also used the marshall but moved to the AER and offered a comparisement in this thread. Seems the board also afreed the AER trumped the marshall even though that amp also is lovelly in its own way.

Here is a link to that thread

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/131291-aer-60-vs-marshall-as100d-high-noon-shoot-out/page__pid__1781158__st__20#entry1781158

I have an L1 Classic. Only drawback is the base is very heavy. Newer models have a plastic base which is lighter. Sounds great and is quite powerful.

I also have Fishman SA220 and it sounds great, maybe not quite as powerful, and is a breeze to set up.

I would like to know more about a new Fishman model, can't find any info on it.

Archived