Gibson Brands Forums

8 months in.

bassetman

My Koa J45 arrived in early January. Since then it has seen two to three hours of play most days. Since its arrival my much beloved D17-M has spent most of the time in its case. The J45 has changed a great deal since I got it. When brand new it felt a bit "stiff" and seemed to lack a bit of midrange tone...to me, very subjective I admit. Now the fret board feels wonderful and the guitar is loud and bright but now seems to be very well balanced. The arrival of the J35 made these changes very clear to me. They two guitars could not be more different. On playing the Martin.....it now sounds a bit empty and very much less projection. My Non guitar relatives and friends think I'm crazy to pay Gibson prices....may be.....but I'm totally satisfied with feel these guitars have. Best buys I have ever made.

image_zpsb3yaoxgf.jpeg

image_zpsm5oeaibc.jpeg

image_zpsdhorf62b.jpeg

And vacation was very nice.

image_zpskr57qqfk.jpeg

Seems you too got the famous Gibson-bug known to everyone here. Once it bites, it won't leave, but stays there as such a sweet spice in life.

And yes, the Martins can appear a little anonymous in comparison, , , (tho it's a bit hard towards the grand brand from Nazareth).

But make no mistake - exactly that neutrality can stand as a very attractive virtue after some time/years behind the G's.

An old Mart D-35-dinosaur here, but I play much more G than M these days. That said, I'm in a phase where I can't put my slope Custom D-18 aside.

During the weekend I lowered the action to a minimum to kind of drag this nearly too decent animal down in the dirt and as the 2005 guitar slowly loosens up, it becomes extraordinary good.

Still with this held back personality compared to fx J-45's and squares. Anyway - as most of us know, it a privilege to be able to switch back'n'forth between the 2.

Understandable that you post a sunset there - off into it you most calmly go ^ Enjoy

The Mahogany seems to bring out the more mid tones . I describe it as more relaxed or more "woody" tones. The Koa , to me, seems to bring up just a bit more in the higher tones . When new it almost seemed to subdue some of the middle but punches the bottom end well. Easiest to "feel" when I can swap back and forth.. My admittedly new j35 sounds different than a several year old d17-m made with the same kinds of woods. My criteria for these descriptions all all totally subjective but even non players can hear they have tonal differences.

I do not have any rosewood guitars.

Fine assortment you have going there, and good to know they have a home where they're appreciated. Non-players, especially women, in my experience, don't understand and likely never will. Best, if at all possible, to pay no attention to the attitude and get on with life.

Fine assortment you have going there, and good to know they have a home where they're appreciated. Non-players, especially women, in my experience, don't understand and likely never will. Best, if at all possible, to pay no attention to the attitude and get on with life.

Right about the "attitude". I have 14 guitars worth about $20,000 acquired over a 20 year period. People act like I am crazy. But it is okay to have that much spent on one hot rod, Harley or pleasure boat.

Bass, yep, that's sure a beauty. You described very well my recollection of how mine sounded and changed over the first 8 months or so. I didn't play it quite as long or often as you - but I found it was almost always the one I grabbed. I've had mine 2 years now and it's still the one I grab half the time. Enjoy.

the 17 series Martins are just below the "standard series" 18 and up, Id bet if you went to a comparable level of Martin to your j 45, you would hear some better tone than your 17 series provides. That said I have a j45 I love, and miss all of the Martins Ive sold, but Gibson it is and for now I can only have one decent acoustic and its a standard j 45 cheers J

Archived