Gibson Brands Forums

Which one to buy???

1BADVETTE

Just a bad nut job.

Ohhh.. that does look bad... youd think Gibson of all people would know better... However if its playing ok what I would do with that is shave the top of the nut down and then put a groove on the back so the slot rolls down to the fretboard... That should in theory fix it....

Also you need to know... It seems that Gibson Epoxy the nuts in these days... So its not as easy as just knocking the old nut out.. You actually have to cut it out or risk damage....

Check this thread out

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/129776-crafting-a-new-nut/

Either way.. That's a beauty of a guitar.. May you rock in good health :) [thumbup]

Id imagine the Class 5 is traditional weight relief.

Sorry for chiming in so late. [blush] To my informations the Class 5 LPs have a 17-hole weight relief. One of my LPs made in 2012 has it, too. It's an extended nine-hole Swiss Cheese pattern.

20160902_220852_HDR_zpsntvvkkso.jpg

20160902_220930_HDR_zpsapp68phw.jpg

20160902_220938_HDR_zpssane3ln2.jpg

Congrats on your nice buy! [wub][thumbup]

Just a bad nut job.

Yes, indeed. :unsure: My nineteen-hole Custom Shop LP needed a new nut, too, like two more of my brand-new Gibsons.

The Corian material seems to be rather inconsistent, partly fine, partly so brittle that through restringing twice strings had cut slots too deep during tuning on the related guitar. From one of my Corian nuts on another Gibson even snapped a chip off besides the D4th's slot when I first restrung her. <_<

Six more of them are still fine, but one of these may go bad soon when restringing... [blink]

I would just like to say thanks to every one for all the advice. I like the way the guitar plays and the action is nice. I'm not going to take the risk of sending it back to get it fixed or swapping it out for another LP. As all of us know, you get something swapped out and the next one may be worse. Then I would be sitting around wishing I had the first one back. Anyway, I will just fix the nut and move on. I'm just glad that the rest of the guitar is fine. It seems like it is hard for Gibson to make it right the first time. I have always wanted a LP Standard for a long time. I have had 2 other LP Standards and both were junk right out of the case. I sent both of them back for a refund. They say that the 3rd time is a charm .... it would have been except for the nut. I'm just glad that this one was good enough to keep this time.

Good to hear you got what you wanted [thumbup]

So how is the neck size for you? And hows the sound? Hot enough?

I like the neck because it is just like my Studio model. The sound is just freaking awesome. I can get everything from super clean to really dirty. I love how I can push the volume just enough to get it just to the point of breakup. Lots of tones to play with and switch and knob combos. The pickups are definitely hot enough for me. I will be playing around and trying different combos to see what tones I can get.

I like the neck because it is just like my Studio model. The sound is just freaking awesome. I can get everything from super clean to really dirty. I love how I can push the volume just enough to get it just to the point of breakup. Lots of tones to play with and switch and knob combos. The pickups are definitely hot enough for me. I will be playing around and trying different combos to see what tones I can get.

Awesome.. And yes you hit that sweet spot... nothing like that just breaking up sound [thumbup]

Theres a couple of really cool vids of Joe Bonamassa talking about tone controls.. which im sure most of us know.. but its cool to see it demonstrated like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx6TLd3VlwA

Well, I worked on the stock nut and got it looking way better than what it was. I also ordered a bone nut and as soon as it gets here I will be replacing the old one. I watched some vids on how Gibson has epoxied in the nut on the newer guitars. They just had to be more of a pain in the *** didn't they?! Anyway, I'm sure I can remove it. I will just have to take my time. A bone nut always sounds better imo and I have made and installed them on all of my other guitars. Just waiting on a Stew Mac delivery to hit my mailbox.

Archived