Gibson Brands Forums

DR Strings?

kidblast

I've tried a lot of different string brands but always go back to Dunlop 80-20, 12-54's on my smaller than dread harem. Great deals from Sweetwater on Ebay. They're easily as good as DR's but not jangly for as long upon being newly strung, and have good longevity.

I've tried a lot of different string brands but always go back to Dunlop 80-20, 12-54's on my smaller than dread harem. Great deals from Sweetwater on Ebay. They're easily as good as DR's but not jangly for as long upon being newly strung, and have good longevity.

I bought a set of these on a whim in a guitar store in San Antonio in order to appease my guilt for having played nearly every Gibson they had. I had no idea what to expect. Still haven't tried them, but from what people say, they sound right up my alley.

How is the tension? Similar to other PB, or are they a bit looser like DR?

Has anyone tried the Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum strings?

They are pricey, but they give a mellow sound without the twang that is amazing. Once you hear them, you'll be hard pressed to used anything else. I use them on my J-15 with a JP Fast Turtle pick for a beautiful mellow sound that words can't really describe. I know it's a lot of $$, but when you play top end instruments why note fork over a little extra to get an amazing pure sound?

Want to give the Sunbeams another vote of confidence. Had them on the HBTV then went to Pyramids which was nice and then reently tried Elxirs as i considered taking the Bird playing live again. But as much as i tried just could not get used to the elixirs boht plugged in and unplugged, made the Bird sound just like a nice guitar, with actually too much sustain.

Put the suneams on and it was back to nectar heaven, serously, for the J-200 or Hummingbirds these strings just bring out the best in those guitars, just amazing.

• 2 months later...

an update...

So I bought a few packs of DR Veritas a while ago.

My SJ200 was due for a change (3+ months with the current Masterbuilts) so I gave em a try.

After the first 3 hours of using them... !!NICE!!

They are touted to last 4x longer than other strings, and these are NOT coated. Like the way they feel, the intonation is great, and they have a nice full round tone. To me, not too bright but clear and resonant.

[thumbup]

Now that is interesting, 4 times longer ? Do they sound similar to DR Sunbeams, have you tried those before and can make a comprisement ?

My J-150 loves the Sunbeams but they die too fast after a couple gigs.

an update...

So I bought a few packs of DR Veritas a while ago.

My SJ200 was due for a change (3+ months with the current Masterbuilts) so I gave em a try.

After the first 3 hours of using them... !!NICE!!

They are touted to last 4x longer than other strings, and these are NOT coated. Like the way they feel, the intonation is great, and they have a nice full round tone. To me, not too bright but clear and resonant.

[thumbup]

Hi EA,

Actually -- This is my first time using any DR string, so I can't compare to any other DR product. The 4x longer is some of the marketing hype and quotes on the packaging and on their website. so we'll have to see. No one at the store I hang at has yet to try them at the time when I bought them a few weeks ago.

I use elixr nano web's (either PBs or 80/20s) quite a lot, and I know that can get 6 months + out of a set,

I play every day, while I mostly play the SJ, I do use my other acoustics regularly (those have nano webs on them) While the Elixr's will show the wear on the coating, they still sound fine and don't cause tuning probs. I also do not a lot of finger residue from my hands, so even the Masterbuilts can go a good 2+ to 3 months before I decide it's time. Many folks say the masterbuilts only go a few weeks, but I feel like I can get quite a bit more time out of them. (I do like those strings on the SJ200..)

I've been a fan f DR Rare's on my J45. Never tried them on a J200 though. I used D'Addario PB's on an SJ200 I used to have and thought they were great sounding strings on that guitar. Lately though I'm using Martin SP's on all my guitars (J45 Standard, Advanced Jumbo, 000-15m and HD-28). Tried 8020s on different guitars and they sounded the best on the AJ, but still always left me wanting more.

Archived