Gibson Brands Forums

I must stop...

SmokeyGhost

Beautiful guitar, congratulations!

I really like the look of that (rosewood?) neck. The slotted heads are the coolest. What types of wood is this made with?

Congratulations I love the Martin 000 series. I own a 15M and it is a keeper for sure. That one is beautiful. Have fun.

Thank you folks. According to the website, the neck is stuff called Select Hardwood (I've no idea what that means) but the back/sides are solid Mahogany, the top is shaded Sitka Spruce, Headplate East Indian Rosewood, Fingerboard Morado which I believe is similar to Rosewood.

I've only played her for a few minutes and, boy, does she ring. And held close you can definitively feel the vibrations against your body. I also have an Alhambra 7C classical guitar and, while the neck of the 17SM is slightly narrower, it's quite adapt to playing classical compositions as well as other styles. Rather versatile; at least I think so. And the weight and body shape is very close to the Alhambra and extremely comfortable.

I was surprised to learn when I went to collect it that Martin has apparently discontinued this model of steel string from 2016 which seems a pity to me but maybe 12-frets are not all that popular. At least I have her now.

Archived