Gibson Brands Forums

Shure Mics are 50 , same age as sal 😊

blindboygrunt

Well, I was a bit surprised reading the topic title, but then I saw it's about the SM58. The first Shure mics at all were made in 1932 and thus 34 years earlier.

Although I think there are better mics than the SM58 by Shure and others, from here my congratulations to this piece of music history. =D> =D> =D>

I have two of these mics. They are just easy. I dont use them to record at home, although if I bought an interface, I bet they would sound great. I use mine live.

Grunt, your day will come!

I have the beta version. Fantastic mic.

And sal - I hope it does as the alternative is not great 😄

Thanks Ernie for inventing the SM58 and SM57!

They cover a lot of ground. Because they are designed for loud live stage use, a nice preamp or mixer with nice preamps is required for great home recording use - they are ok without the preamp, but hard to get any level. A quality preamp will bump up the level to give you more control.

I have been using my SM58 with the Boss VE-8 - it has an 'enhance' control knob that gives some compression and an eq that brings the voice right forward. I am really enjoying using the SM58 through it. 58s are known by singers for the proximity effect that gives a big full sound to vocals live - well, really the 'Megalomaniac Effect' in a massive PA!

BluesKing777.

I have either an SM58 or 57. I think 58--the vocal one, right, with the grill and such. I also had an AKG C1000S. I kept the Shure and sold the AKG and plan to eventually replace it with the Shure instrument mic (the 57 I think). I like them live, and I have used them at home as well. Maybe not the best but pretty easy and pretty classic sounding.

Well, I will mention it again... Generally ignored but here goes.

The SM57 instrument mic needs a good preamp to sound good with an acoustic guitar, or you won't get any volume. These are the mics that soundies put in front of massive stacks of Marshall amps remember, so designed for LOUD. Electric guitar amps, screaming loud saxophones, snare drums.

Absolutely beautiful mic for live acoustic with a preamp! No preamp, you have NOTHING.

Even better for a National Steel, parked facing the cone!

BluesKing777.

Archived