Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood

Dave F

crazy stuff. I am 36 years old. I will see a time in my life where people are amazed that I was able to buy NEW guitars made out of ANY of the traditional tonewoods... at least for anything less the cost of a car.

-Keith

I have a Martin HD28 BRW but no documentation. I recently tried to sell it and a local dealer swore it was not BRW based on it's looks and tried to lowball me. I was confident it was and passed. This past weekend I visited and met Bob Willcut at Willcut guitars in Lexington to get his opinion. He's a fairly well known guitar person and a real nice guy. He too questioned it based on it's looks. He did his test and said he is 100% sure is it BRW and if anyone questioned it, they can give him a call. We talked about current values and he said it was a bad time to sell because BRW Martins are going for 1000's less than they should and advised me to hold on to it. Base on the article above, sounds like good advise. I got to look at some of his private collection. OMG.

http://willcuttguitars.com/shoppe-tour

Hey, I know that Prof.!

I feel partly rather justified in my large guitar hoard. I don't have any Brazilian rosewood, but I fear for the future of what I do have.

Then again, there will always be SOME type of tonewood... It's not like we're going to be in a world without trees. I know it looks that way, but hopefully it won't be the case, and if it is the case, we'll all be dead anyway without trees--oxygen, nevermind guitars.

I cant really blame someone for trying to preserve the forests though.. I drive through B.C Canada alot.. and I see so many bald spots in the rocky Mountains.. all for the sake of a fast buck.. I dont even think any of those spots have had replanting done..

But I guess its the population growth that matters most..

Archived