Gibson Brands Forums

Don't see too many new posts about J-200's these days??

onewilyfool

Here's my two J200's customs. Koa and RW. I had a nice maple standard I sold earlier this year. Soundwise I thought it was the best of the three but not being a custom made it the easiest to move.

7ECC9E7F-C9E1-48D5-80A7-59CCF54E8C07_zpsuwdnrndo.jpg

743DB334-D0B5-43B7-8422-785E282BE089_zpssc2a3gwb.jpg

I LIKE the sunburst finish on a J 200, but I LOVE a natural finish. I have a natural standard. Years ago when Epiphone was as close as I could get to a J 200, I had one in each finish. That would be awesome to have one of each finish in a Gibson.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, unfortunately that was a big disappointment. Was it a dud, I don't think so, it sounded ok just absolutely not to my liking, anaemic I would say, no personality. For the time being my HD28V is going nowhere.

You stated earlier you were going 'to listen' to a J200. Did you get to actually 'play' it? There can be many reasons for issues. If you were listening to a recording - the amp, etc. will have as big an impact on sound as the guitar itself. If you did hear and/or play it live, not plugged in - there could be other issues. Old, dead, crusty strings are obvious killers. If the guitar was poorly set up, or an 'older' model that hadn't been taken care of - there could be other underlying issues. I would not, for example, go into a Pawn Shop and, upon seeing an SJ200 there - expect it to sound any good at all.

So - don't give up on the idea because of one unsatisfactory experience. They don't call it 'The King of The FlatTops' just for marketing purposes! G'Luck.

Well, unfortunately that was a big disappointment. Was it a dud, I don't think so, it sounded ok just absolutely not to my liking, anaemic I would say, no personality. For the time being my HD28V is going nowhere.

So another Close Encounter of the Dud kind. Sometimes it's just a matter of the above-mentioned things as suggested by 40Yrs, sometimes it's timing (another place, another time), and sometimes it's the guitar. Comedian Margaret Smith tells of returning a blouse: she decided when she got home that she didn't really like the blouse, she just liked the song that was playing in the shop when she tried it on.

Kenny Loggins is going to be on Fox News Live TV in a few minutes playing a really nice example of an SJ200 live. (It is now 8am Central - Sat.morning).

IMG_2062_zpsq1nni3vi.jpg

"Footloose" rocked acoustic-style; who'da thunk? That was good to see, thx for the heads-up. I'm sure JannusGuy caught it either way- his tube is always on that channel.

IMG_2062_zpsq1nni3vi.jpg

"Footloose" rocked acoustic-style; who'da thunk? That was good to see, thx for the heads-up. I'm sure JannusGuy caught it either way- his tube is always on that channel.

Ha! I was breaking too many TVs throwing sh*t at them. Got a new TV that had that channel removed. [biggrin]

IMG_0107_zps2qbifvpb.jpg

It was a 2016 brandnew SJ200 and I got to play it myself in a quiet room where I also played the J45 and the Bird I got. Maybe I will get to play another one sometime, we'll see. For the time being I am going to wait a bit and enjoy my 2 other wonderful Gibsons!

You stated earlier you were going 'to listen' to a J200. Did you get to actually 'play' it? There can be many reasons for issues. If you were listening to a recording - the amp, etc. will have as big an impact on sound as the guitar itself. If you did hear and/or play it live, not plugged in - there could be other issues. Old, dead, crusty strings are obvious killers. If the guitar was poorly set up, or an 'older' model that hadn't been taken care of - there could be other underlying issues. I would not, for example, go into a Pawn Shop and, upon seeing an SJ200 there - expect it to sound any good at all.

So - don't give up on the idea because of one unsatisfactory experience. They don't call it 'The King of The FlatTops' just for marketing purposes! G'Luck.

Thanks 40yrs, please see my other reply, cheers!

Archived