Gibson Brands Forums

How does bluesking do it

blindboygrunt

This comes from the person that his Mexican friends refer to as the whitest person they know (also from time to time as 'that old redneck', which does not relate to this post).😡 I do not believe that flesh tone has much bearing on the matter. It's more about how we white folks deal with our feelings. If you condider the blues to be a way of conveying introspection, and that's how many of us white types approach it, you'll eventually get a sense that something's amiss with the performance you generate. The licks and chops can be spot-on, but the genre isn't being properly represented. The more I listen to the 'old guys' who seemed to get it right most of the time - and I reference bluesmen who were rediscovered during the era of the great folk music scare of the 1960's - the more I come to realize that their music was meant to help them get past feeling low rather than to celebrate their plight. The white perspective and inclination will do just the reverse if we let it. 😢

Nothing wrong with your version. It's a matter of making the song your own. I think you did that and I enjoyed it. Look at Jimmy Rogers' song Gambler Blues. It is the same as St. James Infirmary. It's just the way Jimmy does it and this is how you do Milk Cow Blues. Keep singing the blues and you will find your inner 85 year old black man who has drank a pint of whiskey and smoked two packs of Luck Strikes for 70 years.

Well, I had a quick listen with my iPad - working on a p.c that has no soundcard - thanks Boss..

I liked it though you could be pinching my act and you better not get too good or.... - though guitar wise, you know very well after reading all these forum threads that you just can't play blues on a dread - impossible we are told. So buy a vintage Gibson L-00.

Don't have the blues enough? Keep drinking that malted milk - that'll do it for ya - errrrk, shivers! :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Don't worry about it.

When I lived in Louisiana I realized I was never going to be a Zydeco Legend.

I could never get that yodel "pop" when I yelled A-EEEEEEEEEEEE !

[biggrin]

Is that you Dopsie?

First up, please don't delete the track, BBG.

and then..

Sorry to hijack your thread but Murph mentioned Zydeco legends and it reminded me of a musical experience.....

About 10 years back, I went to the city by train for decent haircut, a peruse of the music shops and stuff, but was walking back to the train station and there was a free outdoor concert across from the station and I heard this first and headed over:

And then Dopsie came out and floored everyone! Somebody Scream!!!!!!

Not your normal fare in these parts, let me tell you.

BluesKing777.

Archived