Gibson Brands Forums

Saddle Height And Break Over Angle

Victory Pete

Yes that is a great link. Are those Waverly tuners on your guitar? What model Guitar? Do you like them?

Those are Grover Sta-Tites that I put on back about 1971. The guitar is a somewhat customized 1948-1950 J-45 that I've owned since 1966. Re-topped, neck modified, and new fretboard by Gibson in 1968. Strange headstock details and fretboard inlays with much inspiration from mind-altering substances back in 1970 or so.

Back then, a 1948 J-45 was just an old, cheap guitar.

thewholething.jpg

Those are Grover Sta-Tites that I put on back about 1971. The guitar is a somewhat customized 1948-1950 J-45 that I've owned since 1966. Re-topped, neck modified, and new fretboard by Gibson in 1968. Strange headstock details and fretboard inlays with much inspiration from mind-altering substances back in 1970 or so.

Back then, a 1948 J-45 was just an old, cheap guitar.

thewholething.jpg

Wow, what a great unique guitar. How old is the finish? Nitro?

Wow, what a great unique guitar. How old is the finish? Nitro?

That's actually the fourth iteration of top finish on this guitar. The original finish was a standard late-1940's sunburst. When I sent the guitar to Gibson in 1968 to re-glue the top (one corner had come loose in an airline baggage handling accident), it came back instead with a brand-new top in the then-popular cherry sunburst. Fortunately, they didn't touch the back and sides.

I hated the cherry sunburst, and stripped it off in 1971, along with removing the big, thick, screwed-on 1968 pickguard. I sprayed clear nitro on the top after stripping it, as I was in a "Martin-envy" phase. The guitar lived as a "J-50" from 1971 until 2010. That clear nitro actually aged in very well over almost 40 years.

In 2010 luthier Ross Teigen did a million-mile tune-up, including replicating the original sunburst from an old black and white photograph of me with the guitar back in the Dark Ages.

All the top finishes have been nitro. Back and sides are original finish, probably with some Gibson overspray in 1968

That's actually the fourth iteration of top finish on this guitar. The original finish was a standard late-1940's sunburst. When I sent the guitar to Gibson in 1968 to re-glue the top (one corner had come loose in an airline baggage handling accident), it came back instead with a brand-new top in the then-popular cherry sunburst. Fortunately, they didn't touch the back and sides.

I hated the cherry sunburst, and stripped it off in 1971, along with removing the big, thick, screwed-on 1968 pickguard. I sprayed clear nitro on the top after stripping it, as I was in a "Martin-envy" phase. The guitar lived as a "J-50" from 1971 until 2010. That clear nitro actually aged in very well over almost 40 years.

In 2010 luthier Ross Teigen did a million-mile tune-up, including replicating the original sunburst from an old black and white photograph of me with the guitar back in the Dark Ages.

All the top finishes have been nitro. Back and sides are original finish, probably with some Gibson overspray in 1968

She is a beauty even with the facelifts!

Sometimes a girl needs a nip and a tuck to keep her looking her best.

Come to think of it, I could use a couple of those myself.

I bought this 3 months ago and returned it and upgraded to a Western Classic because the pick up didn't work. I have since decided to buy it back.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2016-j-45-custom-slope-shoulder-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar#productDetail

I bought this 3 months ago and returned it and upgraded to a Western Classic because the pick up didn't work. I have since decided to buy it back.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2016-j-45-custom-slope-shoulder-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar#productDetail

Recently, a member here created a list of all the J-45 variants in production currently or in recent years. I can't remember the exact number of J-45 models, but it was in the dozens.

It's a far cry from the single J-45 version that existed from its inception in 1942 up until the time of what was probably the first "option", the adjustable bridge that was available from sometime in the mid 1950's. Of course, there were the other models (SJ, J-50) that were really just J-45 variants with other names.

My customized old girl was just a pre-cursor of things to come.

I have discussed this before here recently and it seems there was agreement that increased saddle height and increased break angle will improve volume and tone. I have been bashed over at AGF for suggesting this. They have "Torque Theory" over there. Does anyone know about this theory? http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241638

More censorship over at AGF. That place really is full of self absorbed "cork sniffers".

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448024

I have done an experiment with break over angle and have posted it at AGF. Within a day I was banned. Can some of you go over and look for it and read it and see if you can understand why I was banned? Thanks for the help.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448701

AGF%20ban.png

I'd love to help you out. After mid-November, when my current ban for "trolling" expires. It seems that speaking back to the regulars in exactly the way they speak to you is forbidden.

rct

I'd love to help you out. After mid-November, when my current ban for "trolling" expires. It seems that speaking back to the regulars in exactly the way they speak to you is forbidden.

rct

Mine expires on the 13th, I cant wait to go back and be ridiculed and insulted some more.

Mine expires on the 13th, I cant wait to go back and be ridiculed and insulted some more.

I'll immediately begin reminding them that there are people that actually play these mysterious and beautiful contraptions.

rct

Archived