Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Unwanted Bell-Like Chime

Little Jerry

Hello – I need help identifying the source of an unwanted bell-like chime that happens when I play my Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 guitar. The sound started about two weeks ago when I changed strings on the guitar. While the chime might have been there before, it has never been this noticeable, dare I say annoying.

The noise happens after I release my fingers from the fret board. If I hold the note down, there is no chime. The chime happens when I change chords or move my fingers to play a different note. It is most noticeable when playing bar chords. It is also most noticeable moving up the fretboard to higher frequency notes. The noise sounds like it is coming from body of the guitar. It does not come through the speaker.

I tried loosening and retightening the strings, but no change. The new strings are the same that were previously on the guitar. They are sitting squarely in the saddles of the bridge and they are snug up on the string bar of the Bigsby tailpiece. The bridge is tight on the studs (I replaced the stock bridge with a locking roller bridge that was professionally installed).

I have changed strings on this guitar many times before. I’m not sure what I did this time around to cause the chime. I am hoping that it is a simple fix and that someone here can get me pointed in the right direction. All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure what could be causing that.

If I only noticed the problem after putting on new strings, I would try putting on another set of strings and see if the chime is still there.

I know you said it sounds like it's coming from the guitar and not the pups, but perhaps you could try lowering the pole pieces in the P90s a little. Maybe worth a try. [confused]:-k

One last guess. Have you set the intonation? You mention it gets worse as you go up the fretboard.

Probably not the problem.

Probably all foolish advice. But I thought I would try and help anyway. :)

Good luck with finding the culprit.

Hi Brad - I guess it couldn't hurt to change the strings again. The intonation is excellent on the guitar. It is easy to tune it so that the open strings, fifth frets and twelfth frets are all perfectly in tune at the same time. The pup idea is interesting, but beyond my expertise. If changing strings doesn't help, then maybe I'll take it to the luthier I have and then I'm sure he'd probably know what the culprit is. There really aren't too many moving parts, so I was hoping it would be something easy. Thanks for responding!

It is vey likely that the chime originates in the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. Some players address this by weaving a strip of fabric (heavy, like felt, works best) between the strings there, others use rubber grommets with slots in them, like so:

6764-f832a7a9ebab8eed18755778a5d1b4be.jpg

Since both of these cost next to nothing, give them a try to see if they solve your problem before getting any further stressed.

It is vey likely that the chime originates in the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. Some players address this by weaving a strip of fabric (heavy, like felt, works best) between the strings there, others use rubber grommets with slots in them,

Parabar - I think you are on to something. I placed a cloth underneath the strings after the bridge. It didn't help much at first, but when I folder it over a few times, it did the trick and the chime goes away. It also helped another problem with the strings in that some of them rattle when playing open notes, especially the A and low E strings. While the towel doesn't completely eliminate the rattle, it does reduce it considerably.

The hand towel is sort of an eye sore and blocks my view of the volume and tone controls, so I'm going to try the grommets. Any idea where to find them? A quick internet search didn't yield any results for guitars, although I did get a few hits for Mandolin Harmonic Suppressors. I suppose I can find rubber grommets at a hardware store, do you know if any are made or sold for guitar strings?

Thanks!

Parabar - I think you are on to something. I placed a cloth underneath the strings after the bridge. It didn't help much at first, but when I folder it over a few times, it did the trick and the chime goes away. It also helped another problem with the strings in that some of them rattle when playing open notes, especially the A and low E strings. While the towel doesn't completely eliminate the rattle, it does reduce it considerably.

The hand towel is sort of an eye sore and blocks my view of the volume and tone controls, so I'm going to try the grommets. Any idea where to find them? A quick internet search didn't yield any results for guitars, although I did get a few hits for Mandolin Harmonic Suppressors. I suppose I can find rubber grommets at a hardware store, do you know if any are made or sold for guitar strings?

Thanks!

The guys I know who use these just get them at hardware stores in a size big enough to fit snugly between two strings.

Try a "roller bridge" msp_smile.gif

Installing a Wilkinson Locking Roller Bridge was one of the first modifications I made to this guitar. I initially put the Wilkinson bridge on the stock posts that came with the guitar. I later had the Wilkinson provided posts professionally installed by a luthier.

The guys I know who use these just get them at hardware stores in a size big enough to fit snugly between two strings.

I bought some rubber grommets from my local hardware store this afternoon (only 30₵ each). They do the trick. A minor downside is that the grommets somewhat reduce the brightness of the new strings, but I can live with that as long as that darned bell/chime sound is gone. Thanks Parabar!

Archived