Gibson Brands Forums

New bass

Dub-T-123

A cupla points...

First, congrats on a nice new bass...

As I always say, my personal opinion on instruments is largely that good and not so good sound is itself a matter of the interface between the player and the instrument more than the price - even in ways "quality" of the instrument.

So frankly I think if a player is happy with an instrument that just plain "fits," the value is far greater than with a far more expensive instrument that doesn't.

Second, I think Squier and Epi both are not only generally high-value instruments, I'm impressed by the overall quality the past few years.

I've always preferred short scale basses although I've played long scale for money on occasion when I didn't have a short scale. Again, you can make a case that a Squier or Epi short scale can't play as well or sound as good as a long scale, but a lot depends on technique and then on the amp.

Bottom line is that it comes down to the player, mood and technique, and some players' technique will just seem to sound better on one instrument compared to another and it ain't price tags that make the difference.

m

Thanks for the inspiration fellers. Went and checked out that P bass the other night. Was set up pretty bad but looked real decent. Looked like it had plenty of tweak room so I bought it. It's used but barely a nick on it. 100 bucks. They go new for around $270 plus tax here. This one looks like it's an 04. Set it up when I got it home and gave it some time to settle in. I'm real glad I went and got it. It plays real good and sounds great. I like the sound way better than my Washburn and it plays much nicer to.

Think I'm going to throw on some flats like you did Dub. I like the feel of them better.

Here's a pic. Nuthin special. But for the price it plays and sounds great.

20161125_213248_zpsg1mozifa.jpg

Both of those look very sharp to me. I've seen some nice ones in stores but I was under the impression that Squire was too cheap and the quality wasn't there unless you went to the higher priced ones. If that's false then I might check some out. I've been interested in getting a surf sound guitar with that twang. Would that be a strat or a tell? I've checked out Mosrite but the nicer ones are way too high priced.

Thanks for the inspiration fellers. Went and checked out that P bass the other night. Was set up pretty bad but looked real decent. Looked like it had plenty of tweak room so I bought it. It's used but barely a nick on it. 100 bucks. They go new for around $270 plus tax here. This one looks like it's an 04. Set it up when I got it home and gave it some time to settle in. I'm real glad I went and got it. It plays real good and sounds great. I like the sound way better than my Washburn and it plays much nicer to.

Think I'm going to throw on some flats like you did Dub. I like the feel of them better.

Here's a pic. Nuthin special. But for the price it plays and sounds great.

20161125_213248_zpsg1mozifa.jpg

Nice score man! I love the P bass

Both of those look very sharp to me. I've seen some nice ones in stores but I was under the impression that Squire was too cheap and the quality wasn't there unless you went to the higher priced ones. If that's false then I might check some out. I've been interested in getting a surf sound guitar with that twang. Would that be a strat or a tell? I've checked out Mosrite but the nicer ones are way too high priced.

The Strat is better for surf because it has a vibrato which is used a lot in surf music. Just about any Fender with single coil pickups and a vibrato is a good option. The amp is just as important for the reverb and clean sound.

The Squier "Classic Vibe" stuff is pretty consistently nice

Just picked up this Squire J Bass today. Walked into a little shop just to browse and thought this purple color was cool. Picked it up and it plays really nicely but sounds a little bright with the roundwounds. The dude threw in a free set of flats for $200 out the door, and I took it :)

If I had one complaint it would be that the fret ends could use a little love which is common with these things but wow Squier has really come a long way since I started playing.. This is a great bass

Here's a pic in my beautiful motel room

ABE3F2EB-8149-46B9-BE9D-FE6B00A45F74_zpsqqtunp8u.jpg

Congrats on the Jazz Bass. Best of playing with it. lPcodIX.gif

Dub...

I'm overall doing quite well although I run outa gas a lot more quickly than a cupla years ago - and I dunno whether to blame that on the stroke or on six months of doing doggone nearly nothing, or simply on getting older. Perhaps a combination of the three.

I have a little short scale Fender Bass and my wife has a short scale Epi SG bass.

Both IMHO are good enough to play for money, BUT, I think as with guitars we too often consider the qualities of the instrument itself while ignoring what makes a difference to the audience.

To me the thing to remember is how an electric or AE instrument is electronically enhanced to be heard by an audience. Is it a small group with a small amp in a small venue, the same group with amps miked for a PA? A "buy big amps and blast away with only the voices miked into a PA? Or...

My first rock band had lots of guitar and bass amplification, we thought, and relatively poor PA -- but putting those old tube amp PA speakers higher helped a lot. The audiences though? I dunno. I'd heard some recordings of what we did and frankly by standards of what I'd like my name connected to on a "recording on sale," it was pretty bad. But "kids" dancing weren't bothered because it was loud.

Now, those short scale basses I have access to? Depending on the gig, I think both are easily quality to play for money, but the sound really would depend on overall venue and how amplification is handled.

That's my opinion too on guitars.

Now, to get a "surf" sound from a guitar?

Kinda ditto. Yeah, a whammy of some sort may be part of an investment, but the amplification makes a huge difference, along even with venue. Who cares if an instrument or band sounds good in one venue, but nothing but loud muddiness where they're playing for money?

m

Archived