Gibson Brands Forums

New bass

Dub-T-123

Just picked up this Squire J Bass today. Walked into a little shop just to browse and thought this purple color was cool. Picked it up and it plays really nicely but sounds a little bright with the roundwounds. The dude threw in a free set of flats for $200 out the door, and I took it :)

If I had one complaint it would be that the fret ends could use a little love which is common with these things but wow Squier has really come a long way since I started playing.. This is a great bass

Here's a pic in my beautiful motel room

ABE3F2EB-8149-46B9-BE9D-FE6B00A45F74_zpsqqtunp8u.jpg

COOL!! [thumbup] Nice score, Dub-T...and, even better, at that price.

I bought a Squier Bass VI, this past summer, just to have some kind of "bass" around,

and...It's AWESOME!! Build quality, fit and finish, all First Rate! Sounds Great, too!

My (actual) Bass VI (Sweetwater images)

ICS15281820-front-large_zpsvpw0mwgr.jpg

ICS15281820-angle-large_zpsve5aj6ot.jpg

ICS15281820-detail3-large_zpsvaojt0ew.jpg

ICS15281820-serial-large_zpsiarubqyq.jpg

The striped figuring on the back of the neck goes all the way down. It's the reason I picked this

particular version, among the 12 (4 each, of 3 colors...Black, White, Sunburst). The rest all had plain necks, no figuring.

CB

Thanks guys! It's my first bass so I'm pumped. Will be great for writing and recording at home

$200 no tax with a free set of flats.. How could I say no?! Squier has really stepped up their game. Flawless finish and setup on this thing. Could upgrade the electronics and hardware later on, but it is surprisingly nice as is

I bought a Squier Bass VI, this past summer, just to have some kind of "bass" around,

and...It's AWESOME!! Build quality, fit and finish, all First Rate! Sounds Great, too!

The striped figuring on the back of the neck goes all the way down. It's the reason I picked this

particular version, among the 12 (4 each, of 3 colors...Black, White, Sunburst). The rest all had plain necks, no figuring.

CB

I've never seen one of those in store but I've wanted one since they came out. Super cool!!

Yes I too have a Squier J bass, in white.

Think you have some 'modern' contouring there...?

Nice!

I have no idea to be honest but it feels great! Did you do any upgrades to yours or are you playing it stock?

Hard to beat in the bang for the buck category. [thumbup]

For about $25 you can add the bada$$ bridge they put on the Classic Vibe series. I put one on my Mex Jazz Bass.

Thanks I'll look into that. I'll upgrade the tuners later on too. After putting the flats on this thing is absolutely kick ***! Totally love it

I've never seen one of those in store but I've wanted one since they came out. Super cool!!

I can certainly understand that, Dub! I don't think I've gone more than a day, without playing it,

since I got it, and I'm not even a "bass" player, really. But, it's such a HOOT to play, and

quite versatile, tone wise. From "Baritone" to Funky, to very mellow. It's still got round

wounds on it, but I plan on putting Flat Wounds, at the first string change...whenever that's

needed. Not for awhile, though, I'm sure. I feel like it's been one of, if not THE best

"Bang for the Buck," guitar purchase I've ever made. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I can certainly understand that, Dub! I don't think I've gone more than a day, without playing it,

since I got it, and I'm not even a "bass" player, really. But, it's such a HOOT to play, and

quite versatile, tone wise. From "Baritone" to Funky, to very mellow. It's still got round

wounds on it, but I plan on putting Flat Wounds, at the first string change...whenever that's

needed. Not for awhile, though, I'm sure. I feel like it's been one of, if not THE best

"Bang for the Buck," guitar purchase I've ever made. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

What amp are you playing that through CB? I'm afraid of blowing out speakers on my beloved amps so I'll probably just be using this DI for now

What amp are you playing that through CB? I'm afraid of blowing out speakers on my beloved amps so I'll probably just be using this DI for now

So far, I've usually only had it at "living room" volume, through my Marshall AVT-20, or old (Japanese) Fender Sidekick 35R.

Both seem to handle it, just fine. The only time I've played it "out," was through a friends Ampeg Bass rig. That was Great!!

As a guitar player, the string spacing is very familiar, so easily adapted to. For regular bass players, it might be (at least, at first)

an "adjustment," as the 6 strings are in (basically) the same nut width as 4 strings are, on say a Precision Bass. Unlike the much wider

spacing of a standard 5 or 6 string bass, these days. And, they're a lighter gauge, as well. I also "flat pick" the strings, as opposed

to finger-picking, as most true bass players tend to do. So, it's really and easy transition, from guitar to bass, for Me.

And, it's "short scale" (30"), as well.

CB

So far, I've usually only had it at "living room" volume, through my Marshall AVT-20, or old (Japanese) Fender Sidekick 35R.

Both seem to handle it, just fine. The only time I've played it "out," was through a friends Ampeg Bass rig. That was Great!!

As a guitar player, the string spacing is very familiar, so easily adapted to. For regular bass players, it might be (at least, at first)

an "adjustment," as the 6 strings are in (basically) the same nut width as 4 strings are, on say a Precision Bass. Unlike the much wider

spacing of a standard 5 or 6 string bass, these days. And, they're a lighter gauge, as well. I also "flat pick" the strings, as opposed

to finger-picking, as most true bass players tend to do. So, it's really and easy transition, from guitar to bass, for Me.

And, it's "short scale" (30"), as well.

CB

Nice looking bass. What gauge strings do you use? Do you use standard 6 string bass tuning (B-E-A-D-G-C) or something else?

CB

Congrats on this nice catch, CB! [love] The neck looks quite unique. Glad you're fine all around with your purchase! [thumbup]

Did you do any upgrades to yours or are you playing it stock?

Funnily enough I found an EMG Select (passive) pup cheap somewhere and put in in bridge pos...marginally better.

Use it on bridge pup with tone down - tone pot (a mini) needs replacing now, scratchy....

EDIT...and now I want to sell it and get a Squier Bass VI, looks like I'd use that a lot more....

Congrats on this nice catch, CB! [love] The neck looks quite unique. Glad you're fine all around with your purchase! [thumbup]

Thanks, Capmaster! It's a great little bass!!

Also, I didn't mean to "hijack" this thread, at all, Dub-T. Just wanted to expand upon the idea of Great things

don't always have to be expensive! Just nicely done! If my Bass VI is any indication of the quality that Squier

does, routinely, then...[thumbup] [thumbup]!! How about a few more photos, of your newly acquired Squier J-Bass?

That color is "wild!" [biggrin]

CB

Funnily enough I found an EMG Select (passive) pup cheap somewhere and put in in bridge pos...marginally better.

Use it on bridge pup with tone down - tone pot (a mini) needs replacing now, scratchy....

EDIT...and now I want to sell it and get a Squier Bass VI, looks like I'd use that a lot more....

Yeah I'm not a bass expert but the stock electronics sound pretty good to my ears. CB is always causing all kinds of GAS!

Thanks, Capmaster! It's a great little bass!!

Also, I didn't mean to "hijack" this thread, at all, Dub-T. Just wanted to expand upon the idea of Great things

don't always have to be expensive! Just nicely done! If my Bass VI is any indication of the quality that Squier

does, routinely, then...[thumbup] [thumbup]!! How about a few more photos, of your newly acquired Squier J-Bass?

That color is "wild!" [biggrin]

CB

The only problem I have with you posting that here is that you gave me some GAS! Post away CB I'm enjoying it with the rest of em [thumbup]

I'm away from home right now so I can't do much better on pics till I get back on Wednesday. Then I'll get it out in the sun for a better pic. Btw I think Fender calls this color "Burgundy Mist". Sounds fancy huh?

Cool!

This thread inspired me!

I have a Washburn from 1990 I bought back then.

It's ok. But there is a Squire P bass up for sale here. Never really gave the Squire bass much thought.

But after having had a real decent Squire strat and reading this thread what the hell.

I'm gonna go give it Look if it's still up.

And if it plays nice I'll grab it.

My Squire strat was a real nice player after a minor tweak. This may be the same.

Cheap works for me. If it plays good or can be made to play good I'm all over it.

I don't care what's on the headstock.

If it plays nice and feels nice I'm happy.

Grats on both your geets. They are both awesome! Would be happy to own either one.

Well, as long as we're talking "cheap" (although I prefer the term "inexpensive") guitars.

My other "inexpensive" guitar, purchased early last Spring (06), was a "Stupid Deal of the Day"

at Musician's Friend. I'd been looking for a (drinking) "Bar" 12-string, as opposed to having

to risk my 35 year old Ric's. Found this, and while obviously NOT a "Ric," it's (again) a HOOT

to play, really good action, stays in tune very well, and is as "Jangly" as one would ever want!

The regular selling price, at MF is $499! Which is decent enough! But, I got it on sale, for

$329! I had no real idea what to expect, save from the Dano '59's I'd played in various stores.

But, I took a chance, and it turned out to be a real, if inexpensive "Gem!" [thumbup][biggrin]

DSC_0843_zpsprrxsjup.jpg

DSC_0841_zpsgw6le3mi.jpg

DSC_0842_zpsrvqwyqhj.jpg

I AM going to "mod" the controls a bit, to the standard "stacked" tone volume controls, on most other

Dano's. Stock wiring (now) only allows the one volume (for both pickups) and 1 tone. With the "Stacked"

controls, I'll have volume and tone, for each pickup! So, next time I'm in Wichita, at my regular

dealer's, I'll have that done.

CB

Good luck quapman!

That is really cool CB! My buddy had a double neck Dano with a 6 string and a 12 string in his studio and we jammed with it a lot. It was a really sparkly silver finish and looked as cool as it sounded. I tried to get him to sell it to me but he wouldn't. The lipstick pickups are a great match with the 12 strings

... CB is always causing all kinds of GAS! ...

I think the reason is a simple one: He owns good stuff only! [biggrin]

... Btw I think Fender calls this color "Burgundy Mist". Sounds fancy huh?

Does it mean morning fog over French vineyards? :-k

I think the reason is a simple one: He owns good stuff only! [biggrin]

Does it mean morning fog over French vineyards? :-k

I know. At least he's showing mercy and posting his "inexpensive" stuff.

Lol that sounds good to me. How bout "champagne sparkle"?

My best guess is that the names come from the automotive industry. I'm a sucker for those sparkly automotive finishes

LOL [biggrin] Thanks, guys! A LOT of my more "essspensive" gear, was purchased decades ago, when they

were a lot more "reasonably" priced. They were never "cheap," obviously, but...IF I ever had to replace

any of those, these days, there's simply NO WAY, I could afford to do that, in my present circumstances.

So, I'm delighted, that I got them, when I did, and managed to hang on to them, as well. The (4) SG's

(3 years ago) are my most recent extravagance, and I saved and/or traded, for them. I have 3 more guitars

(2 acoustic's and 1 more electric), that I'd love to own, BUT...that may never happen, and I'm OK with that.

I feel (truly) blessed, to have the one's I already own. [smile]

Cheers,

CB

Archived